Railroad Forums 

• Just got back from ny first hiring session...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#177152  by Timberman

They are interviewing yesterday, today, and tommorrow. They said there are 9 jobs for 120 applicants. I don't know what happened yesterday, but in my session only 5 people got interviews out of about 40-50 people. Only 5 passed the written test! Of the five of us one guy was pretty young and kept talking about his love of trains...I just sat there quiet. Anyway, I was the 4th interview out of 5. All of the interviews were 5 min or less in length. I think I did ok but the questions that were asked gave me no opportunity to sell myself so I am a little confused and don't know what to think. They asked a few questions about safety, why do I want to work for UP, what is my current work schedule, asked about working outside, and if I had any prior arrests...thats it! Like I said, they have another set of interviews tommorrow and they will call us from 4-7 tommorrow if we get the job. If we are offered we have to go back Fri. for the physical tests, drug screen, etc. On has gotta think that if there were that many fails today then the other days hopefully were just as bad. Got my fingers crossed!

#177330  by hooked up

Timberman,

Your experience sounds similar to the one I had in April........except for the high attrition!! We started out with about 40, but after all the tests, speechs, etc. we still had 30 go to the interview! My interview was number 20 of the 30, and on the last of the 3 or 4 days they held sessions. Our interviews were likewise very short (and disappointing), but with 30 interviews to conduct, I could understand the 5 minute or less time frame. I can't imagine why yours were that short, unless that is just the way the are. They led us to believe that "normally" they would be more like 20 minutes. At least it sounds like your odds of getting the job may be better than mine were. Best of luck to you.

#188387  by Timberman

Train Service, UP.