Railroad Forums 

• Junction City Mining C32-8 8466 soon to be scrapped!?

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#113654  by TerryC

I just saw these photos and I can not believe that the only remaining C32-8 would be scrapped!! I just called them up and a nice lady said it was gone, they were aware of its history, and she does not know where it is going. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE IT IS GOING? PLEASE RESPOND.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=105043
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=109241

#114901  by ACLfan

Terry C.

I fully understand your interest in this locomotive, but I don't know why you are so interested in where it is going to be scrapped.

Locomotive scrap yards are usually the very hardest places to get into, not because the scrappers do not like railfans (most of them don't), but because scrap yards by their very nature, are considered to be very dangerous areas. Based on the conditions of their liability insurance policies, scrappers cannot and will not allow any "outsiders" to enter their property, even though they are very sympathetic about the desire for photographs. Sometimes, you may "luck out" and find someone who is not aware of the liability insurance requirements. If an "accident" was to happen, they would be fired, and their "crime" would preceed them throughout the scrapper industry. So, don't get your hopes up to get an opportunity to walk onto the property and get a photo or two.

The best thing that you can hope for is that you could get a photo of the unit from some exterior location. Unfortunately, local zoning/land development requirements usually require some form of visual barrier to hide the scrapyard operation from public view.

Some potential scrap yards that come to mind as possibilities include Progressive's scrapyard in Albertville, AL; Cycle Systems in Roanoke, VA; a scrapyard in Waycross, GA, and Addelston International in Georgetown, SC (Addelston buys and cuts up locos, and sells the cut-up steel to overseas buyers).

Did you ask the lady that you talked to for the name of some person in the organization who might know to whom the loco was sold to? Why not give it a try? What do you have to lose?

Good Luck!

ACLfan

#115962  by Alcoman

Last remaining C32-8 ???

Conrail had 10 of these. What happened to the others? I thought the P&W got some.
GE locomotives are a dime a dozen. Thats why they will scrap them before rebuilding them.