Railroad Forums 

• John Oliver v. PSR

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1634734  by jaymac

For those who didn't see the 12-10-2023 Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO, John Oliver did a John Oliver on PSR, complete with Sir Topham Hatt as the CEO of your choice. In the show, there was carnage on Sodor much like the carnage in the 1:1 world.
If interested and depending on your level of service, there should be reruns.
 #1634737  by jaymac

RandallW wrote:It's on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver's YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ2keSJzYyY (I don't have permissions to embed the video, but someone else may)
RandallW-
Tnx -- shoulda thoughta that.
 #1634774  by umtrr-author

Henry really was bricked into the tunnel in an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine... in case there's anyone here who didn't fit into that demographic.

And the story-- called "Come Out Henry!" in the States, is based on one of the original stories by the Reverend Audry, creator of the Railway Series.

(Spoiler Alert: He is let out in the next episode.)
 #1636904  by Engineer Spike

I got a kick out of how Hunter Harrison said that safety was his fourth priority, and how he didn't mind the fact that he had blood on his hands. Hopefully I'll make the next three years until my 360 months of RRB credits, knowing that my safety is the fourth priority, My wife is just like eolsen in thinking that I'm making a big deal out of nothing, and us working slobs have never had it so good. That's fine anyway, because I've been taking out life insurance policies, so that she should be fat dumb and happy forever, if she invests the money right. I'm still trying to line things up so that I might have a more productive second career, seeing how PSR sort of has pulled the rug out of this one.
 #1637042  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Jaymac, will this fair and balanced response from the transportation industry's site, Freightwaves, get the same circulation as does a comedian's rant from a major TV outlet?

'Fraid not:

https://youtu.be/WveJSB5ClHw?feature=shared

Let it noted that the presenter does acknowledge Chatsworth. I think he should also acknowledge Megantic, Chase and Frankford Jct '15, as incidents arising from negligence, be it from top management or on the ground employees, instead of East Palestine, which did not result in a single injury.

Now, in my case, residing some 800 feet North of Uncle Warren's Chicago Sub and his 142 train movements every weekday, I might hold differently if he were "spill one" resulting in my displacement from a mandatory evacuation. But at this time, I hold Mr. Oliver and his producers with presenting a "big time hatchet job".
 #1637153  by eolesen

Engineer Spike wrote: My wife is just like eolsen in thinking that I'm making a big deal out of nothing, and us working slobs have never had it so good. That's fine anyway, because I've been taking out life insurance policies, so that she should be fat dumb and happy forever, if she invests the money right.
At least spell my name correctly.....

You you can't argue the stats: railroad employee fatalities nationwide are less than one per month, which is a fairly low number when you look at all the opportunities for falls, crush, grade crossing and collision events.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk