Railroad Forums 

• It's Official: NYA to get Genset Locomotives!

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #994298  by NYCS

Rumor is, based on the NIMBY/anti rail group CURES Facebook page, that NYA will be getting two new "green" low-emissions locomotives. The group, of course, is claiming major victory, and no doubt they will still find things to complain about long after these locomotives arrive.

However, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows anything about this? I would assume these locomotives would be NRE Gensets? It's being phrased as a "partnership" between CSX, Waste Management, the City of New York and other entities.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CURES-Ci ... 4819876821

If you can stomach it - visit CURES on Facebook to see more details.
 #994307  by SwingMan

Interesting, I wonder if these are to replace the SW1001s or just to supplement the fleet. The EMD fleet is pretty well aged, so I'm not completely surprised about this.

Those CURES people give me a headache..
 #994367  by NYCS

lirr415 wrote: Those CURES people give me a headache..
Yeah, CURES gives just about anyone with any shred of common sense a massive headache. The good news for us is that it's THEM who have the uphill battle, and it is THEM who are trying to change the status quo. For as passionate and idealistic as they are about the issues, they will NEVER be able to get the railroads and the freight logistics network to be custom-tailored to their every wish and demand. The easiest thing would be to move, but they want to stay in the neighborhood they claim has been destroyed by normal railroad activity. Maybe they really do like trains after all? Hypocrites...
 #995240  by RRJS3

Quote from one of their own comments, from yesterday...

"Is there graffiti on that engine?! What about NY&A, LIRR/MTA, Homeland Security doing something about keeping vandals out of the rail yard?!"

Yup, the Department of Homeland Security apparently needs an anti-graffiti task force now. Your tax dollars hard at work, keeping the freight cars looking spiffy.
 #996587  by dlp1684

was told last night by the csx trainmaster that these engines are 6 axle gensets for csx.they are to be use for the oak point to fresh pond run.this makes sense as csx wont even buy themselves new engines why would they buy nya new power.only time will tell if the trainmaster is right.
 #998476  by Jeff Smith

Brief, fair-use quote provided for above linked article as required by railroad.net policy:
NEW YORK — Two conventional freight locomotives — one that will operate on Brooklyn freight lines — will be rebuilt using state-of-the-art low-emissions diesel technology.

A $2 million grant from the EPA National Clean Diesel Funding Assistance Program made this project possible, according to Jen Friedberg of the city Economic Development Corp., who added that these are among the first “green” locomotives in the New York metro area.

The process involves removing the old engine and replacing it with several smaller “generator sets” that can be activated when the locomotive is working at full power and deactivated when their power is not needed.

These two conversions will save an estimated 31,000 gallons of fuel each year and remove an expected 32 tons of nitrogen oxides and 0.64 ton of particulate matter from the air annually — the equivalent of taking more than 4,300 cars off the road each year.
 #1000629  by Jeff Smith

^
Two fuel-efficient locomotives will roll through Queens in 2013 with technology designed to reduce pollution and lower costs for local businesses that use freight trains to move goods.

With a $2 million grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, two conventional locomotives will be overhauled to use low-emissions diesel technology, the city Economic Development Corp. announced last week.

“It’s a win-win. On the community side, those who live and work near the railroad [will have\] better air quality,” said Joshua Nelson, an assistant vice president of the EDC.

“On the railroad side, they consume less fuel,” he said. “Those savings get passed on to small businesses in the city.”

One retrofitted locomotive will be based at the Fresh Pond Rail Yard in Glendale — one of 12 operated by the New York & Atlantic Railway, a private freight service that runs within the Long Island Rail Road system. The second will be based in Port Morris, Bronx, and will service the Bronx and Queens.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/que ... z1hOKPlweX
 #1000639  by DogBert

My assumption is that this is going to be a rebuild of 9321, which I believe is still dead and gathering rust and partially pushed off one of the old sidings in fresh pond. Hopefully they get 2, since 1 isn't going to make much of a dent.

I do find it a little strange though that the taxpayer has to fund this. NY&A is a profitable business, no? A genset would be an investment that would at least partially pay for itself over time in saved fuel costs.

csx is definitely profitable, and nyc gov. apparently helped pay for the oak point gensets. I rather have the extra man on the fire engines than gensets in the bronx... but hey what do I know, i'm just joe average paying for corp. welfare.

csx, 6 axle gensets... having a hard time believing that one. They'd need like 15 of them for the selkirk/oak point pool, and metro north would have to approve, no?

All of these middle-queens people are batshit crazy whiners. I absolutely do not miss the days of non-stop trash trucks heading to the bridges to further screw our roads, and if i get sick of the one train a day near where I live, I'll *(&(*& move. Tracks were there long before I was.