Railroad Forums 

• Is their an Army Switcher on Fort Riley?

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#110698  by AmtrakFan

Is their an Army Switcher on Fort Riley? When I was there seeing the Calvery Museum I saw a bunch of tracks with TTX Flat Cars on them. So we looked for a Switcher didn't find one. So is their one or do they use UP Road Power which is close to their ex-KP Line? By the way their is a UP Steamer on the Base on Display.

#110703  by SRS125

nope no U.S. Government owned Locomotives on the property. If any one wants to beg to differ with me heres a link and check it out:

http://military.railfan.net/

#110850  by usa4624

UP does all of the switching at Fort Riley.

#110879  by AmtrakFan

Thanks!

#111996  by Legio X

Ahh, Fort Riley, KS, home of the 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) and the 3rd Brigade, 1st Armored Division. Those units are part of the Army's iron fist of heavy units, equipped with the M-1A2 Abriams and M-2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle, and thus rail is the only way for them to move out for deployment, which is by ship from ports on the Texas coast, and other Gulf ports. I think the Army's own locomotives are used to switch the spurs where the heavy equipment is loaded, and then the class 1 carrier, in this case UP, pulls the trains out off post and onto their destination.

#112140  by usa4624

There are NO DoD owned locomotives at Fort Riley.
Legio X wrote:I think the Army's own locomotives are used to switch the spurs where the heavy equipment is loaded, and then the class 1 carrier, in this case UP, pulls the trains out off post and onto their destination.