Railroad Forums 

• Is sublettering on its way out?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #382748  by USRailFan

Is Norfolk Southern in the process of phasing out sublettering of locos? On photos I've seen of newer NS locos, it seems they are either just sublettered "NS", or have no sublettering at all.

#383990  by Tadman

I think it's been phased out - word is, no new units get sublettering.

BTW, what subletters would the OCS units get? SOU?

#384385  by uhaul

Sub-lettering is dead as of a few years ago.

#384423  by jgallaway81

The sublettering I beleive was due to STB/Federal merger regulations. Thats just an opinion/educated guess, but it seems to be the way the things went since anything purchased after the breakup has been stenciled "NS" instead of CNOTP, SOU, NW, PRR, or CR.

#385596  by USRailFan

I thought I saw a photo, somewhere, of an SD70 sublettered NW - altho I guess it may have been the angle of the photography plus the lite that made the S look like a W. Other than that I guess the newest locos that got sublettereing (apart from those taken over from Conrail) were the GP60s (all sublettered SOU, I think?) and C39-8Es (I think they were sublettered around 50-50 NW and SOU?)