Railroad Forums 

• Iowa Interstate ALCo. units...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1818  by pc c636

they are still there. Usally they have at least one of them , but I often catch the 3 of them.

Craig Levine,
Sioux City, IA

#2401  by Alcoman

Don't rush out there without calling the railroad first. I understand that all 3 M420's (BTW are MLW) are out of service and may be up for sale.
 #2408  by Komachi

Alcoman,

Well, it isn't going to be anytime soon (work schedule prohibits), but I'll give the railroad a jingle before I head down.

Also, my bad on the MLW/Bombardier thing... thought the M420s were a Bombardier product.

#2473  by pc c636

on the Iowa Interstate Yahoo group they discussed 802 on the road this week end. It also mentioned that it was the last one running.

Craig Levine

#2498  by Railpac

It would be a shame to see these unique M-420R's disappear from the Midwest scene. Knowing a RR that is almost all EMD, its only a matter of time until that last unit is out-of-service. Hopefully they will be sold to an Alco friendly RR, such as the Arkansas & Missouri :D . Hey, Alcoman, you think Casey would want some M-420R's?

#15584  by pc c636

Hello,

Acording to the Iowa Interstate Yahoo group the last M420, 802, had a fire and has been sidelined. This and the other ones are all in Council Bluffs waiting disposition.

Crai Levine
Sioux City, Iowa
 #15687  by Komachi

Yeah, story of my lfie, no time (and no friends willing to drive to Iowa) to see 'em in action, then, BOOM, they're all on the deadline :( .

But, as I said before, hopefully they'll head north here to the Minnesota Commercial. Although, the A&M wouldn't be too bad either.

#18287  by pc c636

Hello,

802s fire damage was miner, and is back in service around Council Bluffs. It wont be in sevice long so if any one wants to see it they better hury. New power is suppose to arive for the Iowa Interstate in June, then I am sure it will be retired.
I better make my trip sortly myself.

Craig Levine
Sioux City, Iowa

#18568  by Alcoman

802 ia indeed in service. Someone just sent me a couple of photos of 802 plus the others.

Alcoman

#28488  by route_rock

New power may be on the lot but heads up! 802 has been a regular on CBBI and BICB this week leading in one case!Get out there now last I knew she was heading west on the BICB train and it is supposed to be late getting out so it will be daylight on the west end till it gets to CB.Last I heard they are running the snot out of her I think they will have to send her to the Quad Cities to get rid of her.There seems to be an engineer out in CB that loves Alcos and he always used to take one on the UP transfer and make fun of their engines over there.Not sure how long this will last will try to keep you all updated. Plus me thinks it is with IAIS 400 which was RI 1275 so two priceless units for you all.
 #32387  by cito

802 is indeed alive and well, or was as of June 20, at least, when I saw it leading what I assume was a BICB train between Rock Island and Iowa City. Five geeps and two GP38s were also working the 70-something car train; two or three were dead, I think. I was thrilled to see the Alco leading.

#44369  by pc c636

Hello,

802 was ideling last Monday the 9th. The other 2 were scattered around the yard in Council Bluffs.

Craig Levine
Sioux City, Iowa

#44716  by AmtrakFan

Komachi wrote:Why not send 'em up here to the Minnesota Commercial? They already have one (that I know of) M-420 unit on the roster and it, too, is an ALCo. friendly road.
I read somewhere where MC wouldn't buy anymore Alco's apperntly that was just a myth. Also do the M420's ever run to Chicago