Railroad Forums 

• Intermodal to Maine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1245988  by Backshophoss

In most cases,after you empty out(deliver)your boss/dispatcher will send the empty trailer/container to load
at a mill the next am unless there's a need to move empty trailers/containers west for a customer out that way.
You pray that the Rolls are ready to load when you get to the mill,or you're stuck waiting at the mill due to a
production failure! :(
 #1246479  by QB 52.32

KSmitty wrote:QB 52.32-
I don't see a repositioning move, the case you made, from southern New England to Maine working out. And that was my point, albeit poorly worded. But there is a business, for trailers coming into New England. As you said "To Engineer Spike's point, it's a highly imbalanced situation --- into the 5 New England states but out of ME, with 1-2 loads in for every 10 out for ME in these western/southern lanes." Empties are coming into New England, to feed Maine mills. This is where the success of Waterville/IM lies. A successful marketing and operations plan, linking Chicago, or even something like Buffalo or Cleveland or D.C. with Waterville. Bringing paper out of Maine and empties back into Maine. In this case Waterville has a clear advantage, its as far north/east as you can go and still cover the major mills in Maine without significant backhaul of loads east, and if you are catering almost exclusively to the paper industry it is ALL ABOUT PROXIMITY. It could easily pick up business from Madison and Lincoln which both truck 100% of outbound product. It is far enough from Ayer that if Lincoln were to move its IM operation from Ayer to Waterville its trucking crews could go from 1 roundtrip (if that) in an 8 hour shift to 2 or maybe 3.
Ksmitty- There are more than enough trailers and containers made empty in MA, NH, RI and CT after delivering their inbound load from the south or west to supply Maine's outbound paper loads for the south and west, whether for over-the-road or rail-based transportation companies. So, why would you ever want to reposition empty equipment, which isn't free, from 900-1400 miles away, when you can do it from a couple hundred? Especially when the Maine paper load revenue is probably around a half of what the inbound load paid to get to MA, NH, RI or CT for the headhaul move. The way it is done today is driven by the market, priced by the flows created by demand and supply within lanes and regions, and the economics that seeks to minimize cost and maximize profit: triangulation of the headhaul inbound load going to distribution (correlated with population density), empty repositioning to Maine for an outbound paper load, and, for NS or CSX's intermodal, doing it with a truck off of Ayer or Worcester.
 #1251723  by BM6569

MEC02101.JPG
MEC02101.JPG (244.22 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
MEC02102.JPG
MEC02102.JPG (201.65 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
MEC02103.JPG
MEC02103.JPG (497.84 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
 #1251858  by jaymac

Which had the longer life, the East Wind or orange pilots?
 #1252064  by newpylong

The Guilford pilots are still orange. Do you mean the pilot stripes they used to have?
 #1252096  by jaymac

My B -- I thought it was dark gray gone rusty, but I rechecked NERAIL, which I cudda-shudda-wudda done first.
 #1252298  by MEC407

The candy-stripe pilots were far too short-lived:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3007372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3006440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3729687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1252341  by markhb

The article above gave me an idea on when the Waterville ramp opened, so what happened? Were there no interested customers? Did GRS not really go after potential business after they built it? Were the target customers mills who shut down? (I know the Winslow mill went under not long after the timeframe of the article.) It sounds like it wasn't used for long, but why not?
 #1252368  by roberttosh

I think it may have had something to do with the Conrail breakup as I believe the service ended right around the time CSX took over.
 #1252372  by CN9634

roberttosh wrote:I think it may have had something to do with the Conrail breakup as I believe the service ended right around the time CSX took over.
Huge service issues. Took a ridiculous amount of time to make it from Waterville to Worcester
 #1252380  by MEC407

I can only imagine. In those days it was taking them 8 hours to get from Waterville to Rigby, and another 6-7 hours to get from Rigby to Plaistow... and that was when nothing went wrong.
 #1252388  by fogg1703

I wonder if it could be done with one crew now? Overnight so as not to get delayed by DE perhaps.
 #1252396  by 690

They would need more crews, at the very least.
 #1252407  by BM6569

It still takes at least one crew to go Waterville-Rigby