Railroad Forums 

• injured at home

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#35476  by Dude38

I've injured myself at home and don't know what to do? I don't want to loose my job, can anyone help me??

#35528  by LCJ

The rule says you're required to notify the company of this. Plain and simple. Don't jeoparize your job by failing to do that. Help yourself! Make sure you tell your local chairman as well.

#37000  by Paul

The first thing you need to do is get your doctor to give an off from work notice. Second is contact your local union rep, fill out and submit the paper work for a Medical Leave of Absence, fill out the paper work for the Railroad Retirement Board (this must be done with in Five (5) days. The company does not need to know for what reason you are off other than you are under a physician's care. Depending on your unions agreement, you may need to pass a drug screen prior to return to work after a specified amount of days. You may also by agreement be required to "mark up" twenty four (24) hours prior to you return to duty.
If you are a shop craft person (ie Machinist, Electrician, etc) any jobs that were posted for bid and won, or if your job was abolished and re=posted in your absence, then you have a right to displace any worker who holds those jobs provided they are of junior seniority to you.

I hope this helps and good luck Brother.