Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Central Steam

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#396265  by CarterB

Back in the 50's, I remember the coal drags coming through Tuscola, IL behind smoke belching steam locos. Don't remember the wheel arrangement/s types. Anyone that can tell me what may have been the norm for loco equip in that division?

#415064  by rlsteam

Very likely, coal would through Toluca have been hauled behind one of the 2500 or 2600 series 4-8-2s, alternatively a 2-8-2 (of which the IC had hundreds) or a 2-10-2. I don't think the 2-8-4s strayed much out of the Bluford District in southern Illinois. But I'm no expert on this; there are others better equipped to comment on it. I am more familiar with the power used around Bloomington, where I lived in the 1950s, and nearby areas.

#416100  by CarterB

I seem to remember that due to the length of some of the trains, there may have been 2-10-2's used a lot?