Railroad Forums 

• Ideas for short trip to Chicago?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#674877  by jscola30

Ok time for me to be a dumb tourist from the Northeast...I'm going to Chicago for 2 nights, 3days next month and I was thinking about doing some railfan related things. I was thinking abour riding the EL, seeing Union Station, maybe going to the Museum of Science and Industry (also reccomended by non railfan friends). Anything else? Good Metra commuter line to check out? I assume getting to the Ill. RR museum sans car is out of the question?
 #675316  by CarterB

Getting to IRM sans auto, a bit tough, but....you could take the UP-NW line up to Woodstock, and take a cab down to Union from there. Might want to call Metro Yellow Cab (815) 829-4222 in Woodstock, to see what the cost/s might be. I highly recommend a trip to IRM if you can swing it!!
 #675872  by railohio

Metra commuter ops aren't really impressive outside of the weekday rushes. If you can plant yourself in Downers Grove on the BNSF line on a weekday evening, however, you will not be disappointed.
 #677403  by atsf sp

There is a bridge at the track portal of the Northbound Union Station, with EL going above it and across from Ogilive station. There you can watch tons of METRA action. It is right near the old CNW headquarters.
 #682936  by Tadman

Ride the last interurban (South Shore) out to Hegewisch, grab lunch at Burger King, watch the late-lunch freight drag out of Burham yard to IC, watch NS shunt the Ford yard, and ride the next train back in. You will also enjoy a ride on the L, (just "L", the "EL" was the route of the Phoebe Snow) possibly catch a train to midway or an afternoon rush Evanston train for a fast ride. I wouldn't try IRM without a car, that's a haul. Also, park yourself at the Canal/Kinzie railroad crossing and you can watch the north approach tracks to CUS and Northwestern station as well as Lake Street L trains. Finally, a walk down Roosevelt road will allow you to view the south approach tracks to CUS, LaSalle, and Randolph (electric) stations.
 #685170  by jscola30

Trip was last week, also met a few friends, but I was able to:

Blue/Red line from O'Hare to my hotel
Museum of Science and Technology (train display was AMAZING and so was the Zephyer)
Metra elctric from 55th-57th Street to Millenium station and then South Shore Line from Millenium to Gary, IN and back.

next day, EL train from Adams to Quincy, Metra from Union station to Edgebrook to go to a hobby store. Metra back, redline that night.

Last day, using a combination of Brown, orange, and green lines rode around the entire Loop, before taking the blue line back to O'Hare.

Next time, will definitey take the other suggestions and hopefully get out to see the IRRM.
 #733450  by heartattack

How did you like the hobby shop in edgebrook? I shop there while waiting for the lady friend to get home from work....it is a very bad habit, i always end up spending money i do not have!