Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#666323  by ljeppson

The five remaining METRA cars on the UTA property are getting cleaned up, including an internal cleaning. The regular PR person I consult with is out of town, and none of the others in the PR dept seem to know much, so I don't know the purpose of this additional cleaning.
 #666671  by superbad

I saw the whole string of cars pictured sitting on the north tracks of Union station today, may 1 @ about 1pm.. they were in the process of moving them somewhere but I did not have time to see where...
 #666692  by EricL

Saw a NIRC yard goat dragging them south through CUS this afternoon. Going to the BNSF yard, I guess?
 #666758  by superbad

that could be a good guess, or the shops on the RI? wherever these cars go, some of them need some serious work, paint job?it would be interesting if they were painted into something completely new.. a lot of them were grafiti covered too..
 #666784  by metraRI

Best bet is they are at 47th Street, being this is the place that overhauls CBQ cars as well.
 #666806  by doepack

If they're going to get a new paint job, wouldn't that be done at the California Coach yard? I thought this was the shop that painted some Pullmans into the red & blue livery that was introduced in the mid-90s before the NCS startup...
 #666816  by byte

Perhaps KYD is the last shop on the system equipped to fully paint smooth-sided cars, and they're headed there.
 #666819  by superbad

sorry I don't know what tha abbreviation for 'KYD' means.... and the 47th street yards, are these the ones on the RI, or are these someplace I've never heard of before... I might do some exploring on sunday...
 #666908  by doepack

superbad wrote:sorry I don't know what tha abbreviation for 'KYD' means.... and the 47th street yards, are these the ones on the RI, or are these someplace I've never heard of before... I might do some exploring on sunday...
KYD = Kensington yard, site of Metra's heavy repair facility for the Electric district, located about a mile south of the Kensington depot. 47th St. is on the RI district, a few miles south of the LaSalle St. terminal...
 #666934  by superbad

hmm.. i've been on the ED south of kensington, can't say that I remember seeing anything there.. is this something you can find by car?
 #667002  by FIREFIGHTERBILL

Hi Everyone As of tonight at 5:00pm the cars are sitting in the 47th street yard
 #667075  by doepack

superbad wrote:hmm.. i've been on the ED south of kensington, can't say that I remember seeing anything there.. is this something you can find by car?
Indiana Ave. runs parallel to it between 123rd St. & 124th Pl. It'll be to the east, but the view is almost entirely obscured by trees. No doubt, your best bet is to see it by train, when riding southbound, the facility will be to your right. Heads up once you depart Kensington, you'll see it shortly after you pass the single track branch leading to Blue Island, although it will likely be a brief view since you'll be highballing through here...
 #667652  by Milwaukee_F40C

Those cars sure look like hell. Hopefully they are not too bad on the inside, which I think matters the most. As long as the insides are clean and safe I don't care about rust and graffiti on the outside, it just makes the cars more interesting. :-D

But they should repaint them, I think an all silver scheme to better match the stainless cars they will be mixed with would be cheap, quick, and look good.
 #667770  by buddah

superbad wrote:hmm.. i've been on the ED south of kensington, can't say that I remember seeing anything there.. is this something you can find by car?

YES, just go along 127th st. (main entrance is off 127th st) on the southside, however KYD is hidden in the neighborhood. heres a birds eve view of KYD
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1