Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#801591  by NeoArashi

Last year, I went on vacation to Moncton. Living in Quebec City, I took the cab ( provided by VIA Rail) and Went to Charny, where I took the train. Not too long after Causapscal, the sun began to rise, and the scenery was awesome! From there to Moncton, I don't think I ever looked anywhere but at the window (exept of course, when I had... certain needs, lol)

Now. That I've seen a good part of the scenery the Ocean gave me, I decided that this october, I'd go a bit further, to Halifax to spend a few days there, again, by train. My guess is that the scenery startting from Moncton to Halifax is even more awesome than what I've seen so far. The only thing I've seen yet is how Halifax looks when you get there by train, thanks to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1dtXb5SflY

So, will our trip be worth the money we will spend (By the way, we decided to make this a ''cheap'' (as in we don't want to spend too much money) trip, so we will go for comfort class on a supersaving fare.)? Also. for those who have done the Moncton - Halifax route (in either way) what shouldn we NOT miss on the way?
 #801648  by jp1822

Lots more to see after Moncton to Halifax. Scenery gets very varied and is a nice trip. Halifax is a very nice city. If you are staying multiple nights, rent a car and drive down the south along the coast line (local highway) then you can take the expressway back to Halifax. Just thinking about the train, Halifax, and Nova Scotia in general wants me to go back! Hotel right at the station and car rental from there as well or nearby pickup service.

I'd seriously consider whether or not you can get a discounted "cabin for 2" on this train though, rather than sleeping over in coach. Plus it will guarantee you accesss to the diner on the Renaissance consists. I believe comfort class passengers can take their meals in the Renaissance diner, but not sure if that is "all the time" or not!
 #801701  by timberley

jp1822 wrote:Plus it will guarantee you accesss to the diner on the Renaissance consists. I believe comfort class passengers can take their meals in the Renaissance diner, but not sure if that is "all the time" or not!
Coach class passengers can dine in the dining car, but only if there is space left over. Sleeper class passengers are asked first if they want to make a dinner reservation, then it is opened to others. In the off season (winter, early spring), it's usually opened up to anyone who wants to, but if it's busier, your only chance as a coach passenger is if you ask specifically and it's not too busy. If you are in coach and want to you should ask and persistently follow up on it if you want to make sure.

The Ocean is a fantastic trip. I make the trip several times a year, but only between Montreal and Truro, so I can only vouche for the scenery from Moncton on to Truro, and it's great. There are some beautiful canyons and hills, and forests that are beautiful in winter or summer. In October, you'll probably still be during the fall foliage season, which is also gorgeous in that part of the country. From what I've seen just from driving to Halifax, I can imagine that the rest of the trip would be beautiful too. Halifax itself is a wonderful city, and there's always lots to do no matter what time of year it is. If you do choose to rent a car and can drive up the south shore, I would highly recommend it. But even if you don't, there is plenty in Halifax all within walking distance downtown.
 #801854  by NeoArashi

Thanks for the info. I can't wait for october to come now!

By the way, here are some videos of my trip to moncton

My arrival to Moncton, part 1
My arrival to Moncton, Part 2
Pics of my trip to Moncton
 #802212  by NS VIA FAN

NeoArashi wrote:Thanks for the info. I can't wait for october to come now!

By the way, here are some videos of my trip to moncton
Nice Pictures and video…..thanks for posting.

......Around your 5 th picture you question backing-up for 10 minutes. This is a standard procedure at Charny for both the e/b and w/b Oceans:

Charny is located on CN’s line to the Quebec Bridge and Gare du Palais. Not on the line to Halifax. Eastbound, the Ocean proceeds into Charny first for its station stop. Than backs-up past West Jct and onto the Chaudiere River Bridge before proceed forward through Joffre Yard and east.

The westbound Ocean comes through Joffre Yard first, and then backs into Charny.

Prior to 1998, Charny was located on the line to Halifax and backup moves were not required. Eastbound the Ocean would have just continued east from Charny and stopped at the Levis Station (where the ferry terminal is located) then on through Luzon, joining the line it follows now at St. Charles.

In 1998 the line through Levis was abandoned (now a walking/bike trail) requiring the Ocean to start using the freight by-pass line through Joffre Yard.
 #802485  by NeoArashi

Thanks for the clears up... and I didn't expect anyone to actually like my videos. Oh well. Expect to see more this october. My friend ''Lightenyuga'' on youtube will join me to my trip to halifax, and he said he's going to get a camera, so we'll try to make another awesome video =D.

BTW... is there anyways in this forum (preferably the VIA section) where you can simply post train videos? A few days ago, I made a small video of a VIA Rail train Leaving Quebec City... Though I might post the link somehere here... but where?
 #851578  by NeoArashi

I got my train ticket. I reserved my bed on the closest (and cheapest) Hostel away from the Train Station. My friends almost have gotten unpredicted stuff, preventing them form comming with me :(. However, I'll enjoy this trip, even if it means I'll be alone! Now... I just can't wait