Railroad Forums 

• I need help with a train simulator.(Either MSTS or Trainz)

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#714585  by narig01

I keep reading about train simulators. I did buy trainz a few years ago when I tried to load it my machine froze up. Someone else at work also was trying and had the same problem.
My machine is a really ancient laptop(purchased in 2002) with Windows XP and 256K RAM & a 30 G HD. I would like to hear if my machine will take these simulations & any installation traps.
Thx IGN
 #714599  by LIRRMEDFORD

Actually for any simulator I would recommend the following

Min Specs

3.0 Ghz single core processor
1 GB Ram
256 MB Dedicated Graphics Card
Any Size hard drive will do just make sure you have at least 5 GB's free

Best Performance

2.0 Ghz dual core processor or better
2 GB ram or better
512 MB dedicated graphics card. Make sure its a series 9or better
once again any size hard drive will do but keep in mind the more you fill it the slower it will perform. So I say at least a 100GB hard drive
 #714696  by Montrealrail

At least,you can have some BVE route for your laptop,It do not need a Hi graphics video device and use a minimum of memory,but the graphic is limited and get only the incab view,but,you will see inclinaison and thing like that,both of TrainZ or MSTS does'nt have this simulation realty,and it's entierly free,and newly,the Open BVE just been released and offer very nice graphic setting,including almost everything,and it still free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtITwxTWLyM

I will try to get more info on that simulator :wink: