Railroad Forums 

• I'm in need of locomotive top speeds

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#426461  by White Rabbit

I've yet to find a website that has information on the top speeds of different kind of locomotives, whether steam, diesel, or anything else. Why don't people list them, and where can I find a hopefully reliable list of top speeds?

I'm mainly looking for the general speeds of 4-8-4s and 4-8-2s. I say 'general' because I know there were many types for different railways, as opposed to today's more standardized engines.

#426491  by SooLineRob

Top speeds of locomotives varied due to different variables...

Steam engines, in a nutshell, were captive to the size of their drivers; a 4-8-2 with 69 inch drivers had different performance characteristics than a 4-8-2 with 73 inch drivers. Not sure about how "they" determined a steam engine's maximum speed; but generally from what I've read, the track speed was ALOT less than what the steam engine could run ... leading to some very fast (illegal) runs in the good old days. The size of the drivers dictated the speed a steam engine ran most efficiently, so railroads really focused on the engine's "primary duty" when choosing which drivers to use.

Diesel engines had a "max" as well as a "minimum" speed; determined by the gear ratio of the traction motor/axle. Most freight units had a "minimum continous speed", that's using full power, of 11 MPH, which means a "max" speed of 65 MPH. Passenger units had a "higher" ratio, since there was seldom a need to run full power at 11 MPH, but they needed a higher "top end" speed, around 100 MPH. AC traction locomotives don't have a minimum speed, but still have a maximum.

For example, the following specifications applied on two common EMD units offered:

SD40-2 (freight), 40 inch diameter wheels:

Gear ratio of 62:15, min speed of 11.2 MPH / max speed 65 MPH
61:16, 12/70
60:17, 13/76
59:18, 14/82

F40 (passenger), 40 inch wheels:
Gear ratio of 57:20, min 16.3 MPH, max 103 MPH

Determining min/max speeds would require railroad-specific research, based upon what options the railroad ordered for a specific model locomotive. I recall finding a "diesel locomotive specifications" website last year that showed the various gear ratios available (which determined min/max speeds), but I can't remember where it was. If I find it again, I'll post the link.