Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1221149  by MBTA1016

morris&essex4ever wrote:http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hur ... s-20130926 Maybe we'll have nothing to worry about in the month and 19 days left this season. :)
I do agree with u M&E since u guys in jersey don't need another disaster. But the saying "anything's possible" also applies here. Hopefully u guys should be ok from another major storm.
 #1221436  by 25Hz

Just as we shouldn't assume another "sandy" or worse can't happen again, we also can't assume that it will happen every year or even every few years.... However, given the record of what has happened, and the data that supports what might happen, it is best to take the safe course and make preparations to protect the assets and infrastructure in place, and any that may exist in the future.

When it comes to transport infrastructure, a microgram of prevention is worth a metric ton of cure.
 #1221450  by morris&essex4ever

Agreed, but to think that a big storm or 2 every year from now on will be the "new normal" is craziness. Some data shows that some years will not be very active, if at all.
 #1221632  by F40

morris&essex4ever wrote:Agreed, but to think that a big storm or 2 every year from now on will be the "new normal" is craziness. Some data shows that some years will not be very active, if at all.
Right. Any "global warming" or hurricane data cannot be extrapolated. History shows that a cooling phase often follows a warming phase, and does not seem to always correlate with CO2 in the atmosphere. And about humans being able to change the weather, we won't go there.
 #1221686  by NH2060

What's interesting about Sandy is that it came so late in the season and seemingly out of the blue. Storms of that magnitude are known to hit in say late August/September (think Bob, Katrina, Irene in 2011, etc.) and in the Northeast that applies even more for the most part. The only other major hurricane-like storm to affect the Northeast outside the "peak period" that I know of is the 1991 Perfect Storm (i.e. a Nor'easter + Hurricane Grace.) and that was in late October as well.
 #1221724  by Thomas

Regardless if you believe in "Global Warming" or "Climate Change," a future super-storm will occur at some (or many) points in the future!!

Thus, could some of the Hurricane Sandy Relief Transit Aid be used for phase 2 of the tunnel box to extend the tunnel box to 12th avenue?
 #1222120  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:Regardless if you believe in "Global Warming" or "Climate Change," a future super-storm will occur at some (or many) points in the future!!

Thus, could some of the Hurricane Sandy Relief Transit Aid be used for phase 2 of the tunnel box to extend the tunnel box to 12th avenue?
While the gateway project and other related sub-projects are definitely part of attempts to make redundant & more robust infrastructure, i don't think you could tie it in to any additional storm-proofing funds that may become available.

There are efforts on multiple levels to create much more storm-surge resistant coastal areas from DC to boston, including yet to be published proposals for barriers and the like, and i think those efforts will get all of the funding, with some reserved for extremely exposed amtrak infrastructure.
 #1222223  by Thomas

25Hz wrote:There are efforts on multiple levels to create much more storm-surge resistant coastal areas from DC to boston, including yet to be published proposals for barriers and the like, and i think those efforts will get all of the funding, with some reserved for extremely exposed amtrak infrastructure.
Like Phase 2 of the tunnel box from 11th avenue until 12th avenue?
 #1225308  by MBTA1016

Since its the 1yr anniversary of this freak storm. I want to wish all of you in jersey the best of luck with recovery and rebuilding 1yr later. Stay safe and keep up with the trains :)
 #1225370  by morris&essex4ever

This year looks more and more like the 2006 Hurricane season.
 #1225620  by alewifebp

Funny thing is we are in a moderate drought right now, although not officially declared. It reminds me of the record setting floods we had experienced in the early 1900s were followed by a severe drought. Everything goes in cycles.
 #1225626  by ACeInTheHole

alewifebp wrote:Funny thing is we are in a moderate drought right now, although not officially declared. It reminds me of the record setting floods we had experienced in the early 1900s were followed by a severe drought. Everything goes in cycles.
What does this mean for winter?