Railroad Forums 

• Howland Hook, Staten Island.......check out this link

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#10552  by Legio X

Check out this link about Howland Hook. It has taken over the role that Bayonne Military Ocean Terminal played until it's closure in 1999 after the 1995 BRAC. It is the main oceanic port of embarkation for the equipment of the Regular Army's elite 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), based upstate at Fort Drum, and the Army National Guard's 42nd Infantry Division (Mechanized), headquartered upstate in Troy, but with assets based in New Jersey, Delaware and Vermont.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... d-hook.htm

#11221  by Legio X

A question: The AK Bridge is not yet back in service. The equipment of the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) and the 42nd Infantry Division (Mechanized) would then have to be driven over the Goethal's Bridge to Howland Hook. Am I correct with this assumption? BTW: The 10th Mountain Division has some elements in Iraq, but the rump of the division is in Afghanistan, along with the crack 1/501 Parachute Infantry Regiment Task Force from Alaska. The 42 ID(M) has gotten orders for Iraq later this year. I guess we'll see the movement of the 42 ID(M)'s new, up-to-date heavy equipment through Howland Hook starting in August and September. Will AK Bridge be reactivated for this, or will the equipment complete the trip to Howland Hook by road march?

#14866  by Legio X

Renewed rail service to Howland Hook was announced bt Governor Pataki today, but no operator was announced. Will it be M&E, NS, NYSW (again)?

#14922  by Ken W2KB

May be too soon to know. I would expect that the PANYNJ would bid out the job.