Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#107018  by metra 613

Do u mean the brown and orange? If so there are 6 left. There run them on any train there can.

#107146  by MikeF

The cars that are still in brown and orange are in the RTA paint scheme (with Metra decals added), not the IC/ICG paint. The two schemes were similar, but not identical.

#112517  by Tadman

and wow, they look like crap too - plenty of rust bubbles, grime, and dirt.

#112527  by Milwaukee_F40C

When the new stainless cars get here, will there be a surplus? There are some cars in sad shape, especially the orange ones, which I expect will be retired right away. I don't know about service on the Electric but perhaps they might expand service by adding cars or trains?

I wonder if IRM will get one of these cars, not that they are really worth saving.

#112593  by F40CFan

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:I wonder if IRM will get one of these cars, not that they are really worth saving.
In my opinion, every type of railroad equipment deserves to be saved. As far as I know, the hi-liners are unique and therefore at least one should be in a museum somewhere.

#112602  by metraRI

Metra has only ordered 26 new highliners, an additional order to replace the whole fleet has been put on hold until Metra can get federal money.