Railroad Forums 

• How many ex-NYC Coal Cars were repainted

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#262475  by Engineer James

When I was in DC last month I noticed a repainted ex-NYC coal car on a siding, how mahny were repainted for the CSX? (It still had the NYC road number on the side.

#262645  by crazy_nip

that is an ex-conrail car lettered NYC as all the conrail cars that CSX got were

they were not ex new york central rr

at any rate, I have no idea about the number, but will say "lots"

more coming all the time

#262770  by Engineer James

Why not just letter CR? does it not save letters to paint??

#262773  by LCJ

When CSX and NS divided Conrail's assets (including coal hoppers) they needed a way to identify the Conrail rolling equipment that would belong to each company. NS got the ones re-stencilled as "PRR" and CSX got the "NYC" ones.

#263569  by MSchwiebert

Almost, For freight cars, the cars destined for CSX had the "CR" (or whatever predecessor road) reporting marks replaced by "NYC". Cars destined for NS retained the markings that they had - eliminating to re-letter all cars. Now if there was a "heritage" car that somehow retained it's NYC reporting marks through both the PC & Conrail merger that was destined for the NS - I'm not sure what was done (extremely unlikely though).

The locomotives where handled in just the opposite way, locos destined for the NS received the "PRR" sublettering, while the ones bound for CSX were left alone (no NYC sublettering was used on a CSX loco).
LCJ wrote:When CSX and NS divided Conrail's assets (including coal hoppers) they needed a way to identify the Conrail rolling equipment that would belong to each company. NS got the ones re-stencilled as "PRR" and CSX got the "NYC" ones.

#263593  by scottychaos

Why not just label cars and locomotives going to CSX with "CSX"
and cars and locos going to NS with "NS"??

Scot

#263601  by octr202

scottychaos wrote:Why not just label cars and locomotives going to CSX with "CSX"
and cars and locos going to NS with "NS"??

Scot
Because the relettering took months. CR owned all the predecessor reporting marks, so ahead of the merger, a car or locomotive lettered PRR or NYC was still Conrail's. On Day 1, the NYC reporting mark became CSXT's, and PRR (and all the others) became NS's. That way the equipment officially changed hands all at once.

What little I know of railroad car accounting tells me having a car lettered CSXT that wasn't actually CSX's for another few months would be a problem.

#263814  by matthewsaggie

By going to the PRR and NYC reporting marks, keeping the same numbers, they also avoided the possibility of duplicate numbers with the existing NS and CSX car fleets.

#263816  by matthewsaggie

As an aside, I saw a hopper car here in NC this week marked NYC, but still painted for Erie Lackawanna. I was sure surprised to see it.

#265549  by conrail_engineer

matthewsaggie wrote:As an aside, I saw a hopper car here in NC this week marked NYC, but still painted for Erie Lackawanna. I was sure surprised to see it.
Yep. A majority of the hi-cube boxcars that CSX obtained from Conrail, although now identified as "NYC"cars, still have small lettering identifying their pre-Conrail numbers. Most of those cars were built in the 1960s and were PRR rolling stock...the PRR numbers usually are in small stenciling near the build/rebuild dates.

LCJ is right. The NYC/PRR numberings were a convenience for identifying property at the date of split. Prior to split, those markings were in the database as belonging to Consolidated Rail Corp. AFTER split, the PRR markings were known to be property of the NS and NYC cars the property of CSXT.

As an interesting sidenote, I've noticed that Ex-Con NS locomotives are LOSING their PRR coding on the bottom of the cab sidewall...even units repainted in NS black had kept the identifiers, as all NS units from prior companies have. The "PRR" notations are being painted over and replaced by "NS" identifiers.

#266071  by Engineer James

CR boxcars that came through on the local had NYC reporting marks not PRR. It was an NS train.

#266080  by LCJ

Engineer James wrote:CR boxcars that came through on the local had NYC reporting marks not PRR. It was an NS train.
Well, you know, this will tend to happen. Boxcars that were once Conrail's, but are now part of the CSX fleet, are liable to be found ANYWHERE on the Norte Americano system of railroads. It's one of the practices that makes it all work -- called "interchange."