Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #338063  by Fanatic5

How did the Pennsylvania Railroad access Connellsville? Are there remains of the line in and around Connellsville? Where did the railroad cross the Youghiogheny River? I believe some of the roadbed can be seen from the old B&O "FM&P" branch?
 #338116  by Ralph D Kautz

The PRR Came into Connellsville on the Sothwest Pennsylvania Railroad.Beginning in Greensburg Pa.at SW Junction just East of Downtown,it went south to Youngwoond where there was a Roundhouse and Yard then to Scottdale and then to Connellsville Crossing the Yough River appox 2 blocks Nortwest of Crawford Street It then proceeded to the Wye Track where it split one line to Philips and Lesiring the other to Dunbar and Uniontown.The Dunbar/Uniontown Line also Served the shops of the West Penn Electric railway in west Connellsville.Hope this Helps

#460456  by kaiserworks

The PRR southwest branch is still active today. It connects to NS (former Conrail/Penncentral/PRR mainline Harrisburg to Pittsburgh) at radebaugh jct along rt 30 east of Greenburg Pa. and continues through to Connellsville connecting with CSX. I'm not sure that it still runs into Uniontown though. The existing shortline using those tracks is called the Southwest Pennsylvania RR. In Connellsville, the PRR not only interchanged with the B&O but also the Western Maryland RR. The former ROW for the Western Maryland RR is now a trail that runs from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. The particular stretch from Connellsville to Confluence PA is along the Youghigenny (sp?) river and is a particularly beautiful stretch to bicycle, especially in the fall. You'll also see alot of CSX action on the other side of the river.

#460567  by scooter3798

The two posts above pretty much covered it. The only other thing to note is that the actual trackage in Connellsville is gone. The branch only comes as far south to the north end of town and then just stub ends. There is some industry there that still gets served, but I can't think of it right now. To interchange with CSX the SWP uses the old B&O connection at Broadford west of C-Ville, accessed via the connection near Scottdale.

Scooter

Also you were close on the spelling of Youghiogheny kaiserworks, and I'll also second the fact that the WM trail is a great place to ride/ walk.

#461365  by kaiserworks

As a related question; does the southwest branch still run from c-ville to uniontown? If so, is it active?

#462008  by rnetzlof

Another map which might be of interest:

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=PA

Note that this one is from 1902, considerably more elderly than the 1941 map available at the PennDoT site.

Bob Netzlof

#463212  by lukerice

I was talking with somebody about an old railroad tunnel on that line, and he told me he walked parts of the SWP line and the tracks do go through uniontown, trains still run but not very frequently, and that tracks end in smithfield. I think the SWP south of Uniontown is on old B&O trackage, their FM&P division, but I'm not 100% positive.