Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic schedules?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#31847  by NellsChoo

Hi all

Can anyone tell me when the Housatonic actually MOVES? Granted, I have only been in their neck of the woods a few times, but I have never seen one of their nifty green and yellow engines actually moving. We were in Canaan CT this weekend, and will be staying in Kent next weekend. What are the odds of my seeing a freight?? Is there a set schedule for the RR?

HELP!

Jonelle
 #31984  by NellsChoo

Yup, done that. The Alco is nifty. I'd just like to see something moveing... It looks like they have some ex-NS engines stored there. Is this correct, and are they for parts?

Jonelle

#32053  by bshrdr

Check out the HRRC Yahoo group. Very informed bunch on there on HRRC ops. When you join, specifically check out Message #2520 - this is the most up to date HRRC schedule - as of May 10, 2004.

Hope this helps
-Tom

#32085  by DutchRailnut

Forward from: "signalman_bob" <rjsaul@w...>
Date: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:33 am
Subject: New Housatonic Schedule

Here is the NEW Housatonic Schedule effective as of May 10th 2004,
for those who need it.

NX-11
Monday thru Friday - Report New Milford 7 AM
Monday and Friday return to Canann
Tuesday thru Thursday - tie down in New Milford

NX-12 - Monday thru Thursday
On duty 3 PM at Canann
Canann to Pittsfield and return

NX-12X
Friday only
On duty 12 Noon at Canann
Canann to Pittsfield and return

NX-13

Sunday - On duty 7 AM at Canaan
Canann to New Milford
Switch Danbury and Hawleyville if required
Leave train in New Milford and taxi back to Canann
Get new power and switch Canann if required

Monday - On duty 7 AM at Canann
Switch Canann costumers

Tuesday -On duty 4 AM at Canann
Switch Canann
Then Canann to New Milford
Leave train in New Milford
Crew returns by taxi

Wednesday thru Friday
On duty 4 AM at Canann
Canann to New Milford and return
On return to Canann switch Canann customers

I hope that this helps everyone out there. But please remember this
is what I was told, so things may not be totality accurate.

Bob

#34241  by NellsChoo

OK, we are back from the CT trip. Our hotel, The Fife & Drum, was right next to the main line in Kent! I only got one photo, though, as a small freight passed going north just as we got into the room.

This is the shot I got:

Not the best, but at least I got one... Sunday morning while still in bed they went south and the whole hotel shook!
 #1552082  by Jeff Smith

According to Dave Jacobs, Admin, Fans of Housatonic Railroad Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fansoft ... ouncements

Housy Schedule effective as of April 18, 2020
Keep in mind the symbols designate the crew, not the train, and as with any railroad, things can change on the fly! Times are approximate.
NX11: On duty at 7:30am weekdays and works Canaan, Falls Village, Sheffield, occasional odd jobs around the fuel pad or Canaan yard.
NX10: On duty at 8:00am in New Milford weekdays, working from there south including the Maybrook line. They service all the industries around Newtown, Brookfield, Danbury and New Milford and return to leave their power in downtown New Milford when complete
NX12: On duty at 5:30am weekdays, heading south from Canaan to New Milford and return. They are usually back in Canaan by around 11am-noon
NX13: On duty weekday afternoons usually around 3pm, heading north to Pittsfield to interchange and return. This train also services Onyx, Old Castle, and Valley Refuge on its way north in Lee and Lenox.
SUNDAY NX12: Start in Canaan, 8am typically switch Spem then head to Pittsfield, wait for CSX to drop cars, then return. Lately they have been outlawing and another crew takes over. Return to Canaan around by 8-9pm