Railroad Forums 

• Hoping you can help

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#101121  by JLo

The county tax burden is apportioned among the towns of Essex County. Since Newark has not reassessed its properties since 1965, those currently occupied properties which were occupied in 1965 still have their old, 1965 tax bills. Homes built since 1965 have a valuation as of the time they were inspected.
Lack, your information is dated. Newark was recently reassessed (2001 or 2002, I believe), causing all sorts of problems. The county tax is high in Essex for many reasons--including Newark and a county government that spends way too much--a county government controlled by guys from, surprise, surprise, West Orange, Verona, Montclair (see a pattern?). But you can't complain about Newark being the sole cause. Newark has more than 25% of its taxable land housing untaxable institutions. I'm sure it would be happy to trade the county jail, courthouse, etc., to Glen Ridge for the tax ratables.

#101145  by ryanov

Bottom line, though, is that if you raise taxes in Newark, chances are people will move somewhere else. Net gains would probably be lower.

#101164  by JLo

Bottom line, though, is that if you raise taxes in Newark, chances are people will move somewhere else. Net gains would probably be lower.
Taxes have risen in Newark. In the Ironbound, for instance, it more than tripled for many properties. And yet, they continue to build houses and sell them for $500,000. You want a lower real property tax bill, IMHO, get rid of county government, regionalize services and consolidate school districts.

Okay, my rant is over. Glen Ridge is a nice town, though. :-D

#101210  by Ken W2KB

Or maybe consolidate the 500 plus municipalities into 21 counties?

#101222  by brooklynkevin

Hi, folks.

I posted this already, but didn't get too many replies (so I'm reposting here).

I've been researching on railstotrails.org about converting the tracks. This is an exciting idea, but I'm not sure how realistic it is for this area.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again, and please, keep the responses coming.

#101400  by Jtgshu

Rail to trails is a program to keep right of ways intact, and remove the rails and ties, and put down a path for pedistrians, bicyclists, etc to use.

However, rail to trails doesn't mean that the ROW will never be used again for train service. I don't know of any trails that have been rebuilt into active railroads in the country, however, the Freehold/Matawan rail/trail, still being built as a trail, might be the first, if NJT decides to route the MOM line via the Freehold Branch.

The Seashore Branch railtrail (Keyport to Atlantic Highlands) is VERY popular, adn there are LOTS of people that use it. Every once in a while, there are reports of crime because of the trail - an easy getaway, adn that it brings "undesirables" into the towns but many of the locals who use the trail seem to be quite happy that its built

#101476  by JoeG

It's true that there is a remote possibility that railroad service would be restored eventually. But, I think we could confidently say that it won't happen in the next 15 years. Depending how long you expect to keep your house, the possibility of eventual service restoration may well be moot.

#101622  by Lackawanna484

The section of the Caldwell Branch from Fairview Ave Verona (rail) east to (maybe) Francisco Ave in Little Falls was purchased as a rail trail. There are signs at most road crossings.

That was about 25 years ago. The towns have serious reservations about providing ambulance service to people injured on the trail, Essex County's exceptionally poor rep on providing any services doesn't comfort anybody that they will provide security on the trail. Homeowners have united against the trail ("burglars on bikes"), so nothing's been done in 25 years. There's now a one lane path through the underbrush and trees.

I wouldn't be concerned that any Essex County based rails to trails project would be a serious threat in Glen Ridge.

#101854  by Ken W2KB

Rails to Trails intent purportedly is to preserve rights of way for future use. In reality it is an environmentally-oriented group that uses its influence to have rail lines abandoned and rails removed since that dramatically lessens the chances of eventual restoration.

Some areas are now delving into 'rails WITH trails' where the track is preserved with the trail adjacent to it. Sometimes an operating railroad, sometimes one where service has been discontinued. This allows for recreational speeder operation, and easy volunteer maintenance of the trail, as well as better preserving the possibility of future rail use.

#101932  by Lackawanna484

Ken W2KB wrote:Rails to Trails intent purportedly is to preserve rights of way for future use. In reality it is an environmentally-oriented group that uses its influence to have rail lines abandoned and rails removed since that dramatically lessens the chances of eventual restoration.

Some areas are now delving into 'rails WITH trails' where the track is preserved with the trail adjacent to it. Sometimes an operating railroad, sometimes one where service has been discontinued. This allows for recreational speeder operation, and easy volunteer maintenance of the trail, as well as better preserving the possibility of future rail use.
The Western Maryland Scenic people have some experience with that. The Rails to Trails people insisted on a fence to separate the trail from the (occasionally) active right of way. Exclusive use of the Frostburg (?) tunnel, and security to keep hikers out of the tunnel during train excursions.

While the trails people might find that a decent compromise, it's added expense, two security people for the tunnel, and added a fence to the detriment of the photogs.

#101975  by brooklynkevin

JoeG wrote:It's true that there is a remote possibility that railroad service would be restored eventually. But, I think we could confidently say that it won't happen in the next 15 years. Depending how long you expect to keep your house, the possibility of eventual service restoration may well be moot.
Joe,

I'm wondering why you think it won't happen in the next 15 years? James Wilson of NY&GL seems determined. This month he submitted another request to the STB trying to get NSR to give them rights to the tracks.

Thanks for your help on this.

Kevin

#101976  by brooklynkevin

BlockLine_4111 wrote:The chance is nil (zero) that NY&GL will ever operate the line. NS will probably never operate the line again. However I personally envision some sort of light rail extension using these tracks in a 7-30 yr. time frame. Light Rail similar to the HBLRT or the Newark City Subway, IMO.
Mike,

Why do you think the chances are nil? James Wilson of NY&GL seems determined. This month he submitted another request to the STB trying to get NSR to give them rights to the tracks.

Thanks for your help on this.

Kevin

#101978  by brooklynkevin

Joe/Mike,

Sorry, I hadn't done all my research.

I just found the STB's decision. Here it is:
Decision Notes: DENIED NEW YORK & GREENWOOD LAKE RAILWAY'S (GREENWOOD) APPLICATION FILED UNDER THE FEEDER RAILROAD DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM AND DENIED GREENWOOD'S RELATED REQUEST FOR DISCOVERY.

Again, sorry, and thanks for your patience with my learning curve.

Kevin