Railroad Forums 

• Hoosac Tunnel siding

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1029573  by IndianaMike

I was looking at a photo from the 1930s of the electric tunnel motors towing trains in and out of the East Portal of the tunnel. I noticed a small siding just outside the portal that ended at the road crossing and ran next to that building at road's edge. What was this siding used for? Was the building a freight house or MOW shed? The photo shows a boxcar and flatcar there; the switch must have been just outside the tunnel mouth.

IM
 #1030668  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I did email a friend of mind, about your question dealing with the siding , he is also train dispatcher and does work for the (T) . He has worked the west end during the B&M days . His answer was this , the siding was in place when he was working the spare board , and at that time , it was used for loading and unloading company equipment , and also for storing track equipment if work was being done at the tunnel .
 #1031490  by IndianaMike

Thanks. They must have ripped that out years ago. I remember when I first visited the tunnel as a kid in the early 80s, the track was gone.

IM