Railroad Forums 

• Holiday cars 2012

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1109885  by ajp

Any word if any of the big stores are dealing with MTH or Lionel for holiday cars this year?
 #1116617  by tellu_whut

ajp wrote:Any word if any of the big stores are dealing with MTH or Lionel for holiday cars this year?
I'm not sure where you are located, AJP, but Wegman's, a supermarket chain based in Rochester, NY has a neat 0-8-0 set available through Lionel. http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/store ... tId=750525
I am disappointed that JCPenney doesn't have their Santa Fe steam sets for sale this year. At least not in my local store.
I haven't seen any other 'specials'.
 #1116728  by chrisnewhaven

I saw a few Lionel sets in a Barnes and Noble in Maryland earlier this week. Not a special set, just the cataloged Christmas-themed set and a Polar Express one.
C.J.V.
 #1116738  by Backshophoss

The only place that sells Lionel tinplate sets nowadays is Hobbytown USA. Most Big-Box retailers seem to sell
"basic entry level" type HO scale sets,places like Micheal's and Hobby Lobby may have some "entry level" N scale sets
along with some HO scale stuff.

JC Penny has not preformed well as a retailer,some vendors may not be shipping until the money is paid up front,
there have been some change of direction by mangement at JCP recently.
Along with the Labor strife at the ports of LA and Long Beach over outsourcing of the clerks jobs in the past week.
There's a major backlog at the ports to be cleaned up.:(
 #1117236  by Railjunkie

Work part time at a small hobby shop and we havent seen any holiday cars as of yet. The saying in the store goes something like this, It wouldnt be Christmas if Lionel didnt F up something