• Hoboken: why (1) idling and (2) low-level platforms?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by andegold

Thank you Patrick Boylan. For the last time: I don't care what station we are talking about there can never be an issue with height of the canopy. A high level platform does not change the height clearance of a train. Unless the canopy is at or below the height of the interior doorway of the train's vestibule there is no issue.
  by M&Eman

25Hz wrote:And the tracks past 15 (16, 17) have that massive long platform & newer-ish canopy. Is the canopy high enough to put a 4 foot platform under it? My memory says no but i could be mistaken.
That one actually might become a bit cramped for tall people on a high platform, but honestly that's the one piece of the station they could get away with destroying. I'm pretty sure it was built in the 1950s when the Erie trains were added to the station and they turned a few yard tracks into passenger tracks. Go ahead, knock it down!
  by 25Hz

My final opinion is to leave it as it is, and possibly repair the "shore power" hookups.
  by DutchRailnut

from that picture it shows that canopy would not be in any way obstructive to passengers if Hoboken were converted to high level platforms.
  by cruiser939

andegold wrote:Is the height of the wire on any track in Hoboken really an issue? The MultiLevels are cleared for NY Penn and the PL42s are not. The PL42s are cleared for all(?) platforms in Hoboken. What is the issue?
I don't believe anyone is disputing whether or not the catenary height is a real issue.
  by cruiser939

sullivan1985 wrote:
25Hz wrote:what about track 1/2
I'm trying to figure out where track 1/2 is.
Yeah, same here. I have welcome back kotter playing in my head right now.
  by andegold

Cruiser, Dutch mentioned the height of the wire a few times. Not really sure why as he was not directly relating it to the canopy or platforms but was discussing it none the less. 25hz was the real culprit in bringing up the wire. Has he been outed as the third reincarnation of TRE yet?
  by cruiser939

25Hz wrote:Track one is the one adjacent to the western "inside" PATH stairway that was shortened substantially. How would you handle such a short platform with a ramp and the too-far-in-front-of-the-train segment of track 2 right across the way?
I don't know what the heck you are saying. If I were to hazard a guess at your dilemma though, I'd say you make the radical decision to (hold your breath!) design a turn in your ramp.
  by cruiser939

andegold wrote:Cruiser, Dutch mentioned the height of the wire a few times. Not really sure why as he was not directly relating it to the canopy or platforms but was discussing it none the less. 25hz was the real culprit in bringing up the wire. Has he been outed as the third reincarnation of TRE yet?
Yes, he is. Although TREnecNWK and Frosty Orange had such short life spans that I'm not sure whether you can count them reincarnations. The original TRE has made so many comeback tours here that he's essentially Michale Jackson.

Moral of the story is, TRE/HBLR/25Hz will get nuttier and nuttier until he finally spins off the face of the planet or Jeff Smith takes pity on us and removes him... again.
  by 25Hz

andegold wrote:Thank you Patrick Boylan. For the last time: I don't care what station we are talking about there can never be an issue with height of the canopy. A high level platform does not change the height clearance of a train. Unless the canopy is at or below the height of the interior doorway of the train's vestibule there is no issue.
The canopy over 16/17 is not as tall as the original train shed canopy. Yes there can be an issue when you raise a platform 4 feet and the canopy does not give proper clearance for people's heads to not hit. Have you ever once been to newark broad street station? I'm guessing not. How about jenkintown on the SEPTA system? It's a bit different when you've actually been to places where the canopy height is or could be an issue when dealing with high level platform "updating". There is no standard for canopy height, ok?
  by andegold

No, I haven't been to any of those places, nor have I been to Hoboken since leaving Ridgewood 20 years ago. So what. Are you telling me that the canopy in any of those places is lower than the height of the vestibule doorway? I find that hard to believe and unless that is the case it is just not an issue.
  by ACeInTheHole

cruiser939 wrote:
andegold wrote:Cruiser, Dutch mentioned the height of the wire a few times. Not really sure why as he was not directly relating it to the canopy or platforms but was discussing it none the less. 25hz was the real culprit in bringing up the wire. Has he been outed as the third reincarnation of TRE yet?
Yes, he is. Although TREnecNWK and Frosty Orange had such short life spans that I'm not sure whether you can count them reincarnations. The original TRE has made so many comeback tours here that he's essentially Michale Jackson.

Moral of the story is, TRE/HBLR/25Hz will get nuttier and nuttier until he finally spins off the face of the planet or Jeff Smith takes pity on us and removes him... again.
HAHAHAHAHAHA... Good one with the MJ line
  by Kaback9

andegold wrote: Has he been outed as the third reincarnation of TRE yet?
I warned of this weeks ago...