• Hoboken: why (1) idling and (2) low-level platforms?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by andegold

james1787 wrote:Why put platforms in for ADA compliancy when the portable lifts they have there work absolutely fine? My wife has used them many times without incident. Often when the train pulls in there is someone waiting for us with the lift. Other times at the most we have to wait a few mins for the conductor to get it. Why fix what isn't broken? I wish they had more of these lifts at other stations with low level platforms. It's a heck of alot cheaper than building full-high's or mini-highs.
The point to putting high level platforms in is to make use of all the center door cars, make use of the quarter point doors on the MLVs and generally increase the speed of and convenience of boarding and exiting the trains.
  by 25Hz

What would be done to the west end of the platforms... and what about track 1/2 and 17?
  by andegold

25Hz wrote:What would be done to the west end of the platforms... and what about track 1/2 and 17?
Put up a barrier? Nothing? What is at either end of the platforms in NYP? Nothing. People shouldn't be wandering off the ends of the platforms and into the yards to begin with. If you want to preserve access there in case of emergencies set up the west end with a slope the same as the east end. Not a big deal at all.

What is the issue with Tracks 1/2? Isn't Track 1 a short track with it's own platform? Either put a railing up the entire length of it or put in an extra set or two of stairs. Or leave that one platform low level with a mini high.

What is the issue with Track 17?
  by 25Hz

I guess you have to have used the station to realize track 1 would be an issue.
  by andegold

25Hz wrote:I guess you have to have used the station to realize track 1 would be an issue.
Well why don't you enlighten the rest of us then?
  by jlr3266

sullivan1985 wrote:
25Hz wrote:what about track 1/2
I'm trying to figure out where track 1/2 is.
That is the half-assed track. Jokers asking if the traiin stops at "Bridge Plate" board there.
  by 25Hz

Track one is the one adjacent to the western "inside" PATH stairway that was shortened substantially. How would you handle such a short platform with a ramp and the too-far-in-front-of-the-train segment of track 2 right across the way?

And the tracks past 15 (16, 17) have that massive long platform & newer-ish canopy. Is the canopy high enough to put a 4 foot platform under it? My memory says no but i could be mistaken.

I do prefer high level platforms for actual frequent use, but i'm honestly not sure it would really work at hoboken for every platform there.

As far as lowering the track, don't think that would work.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, just seeing if this is being properly thought out, that's all.
  by ApproachMedium

If the track went any lower the trains would need inflatable side skirts to be able to come in to the station. Anyone whos been to hoboken when it rains knows what I am talking about.
  by alewifebp

Let's also remember that to lower the track level would require a regrading of the entire yard, since trains aren't like a car and can't just deal with a sudden steep grade. Imagine how fun that would be starting off or stopping with say a 10% grade right after the platform end?
  by Patrick Boylan

The canopy and catenary are higher than the cars. Why do they matter for platform height?