• Amtrak Borealis: fka Empire Builder 2nd Daily Frequency Chicago - St Paul

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ExCon90

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:27 am

OK so what's next; to make every stop The Cannonball made?
My impression, admittedly from a distance, is that intermediate stops are the lifeblood of this train, although they can be a nuisance if that's not where you're getting off. If needed sration facilities are already in place they could make it a flag stop for awhile to test the demand. A few extra minutes shouldn't do much harm.
  by Tadman

superbad wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:14 pm From my account Borealis is taking 2-3 minutes per stop. It is not like the empire builder. No assigned seating. They scan your ticket and the train leaves.
I hadn't considered this and it's another great reason to replace trains like the Eagle and Builder with extra corridor frequencies. I detest the officious crews lording their seating ability over passengers. I have rarely seen that little power go to someone's head so much. I recall a specific incident in KC when boarding the Chief to Chicago. The AC told us to get in car X and seat Y. We complied and stowed our bags and the train started moving. Minutes later an irate head conductor came through and demanded we get our bags and move multiple cars away. What a dick.
  by ExCon90

I think it's mainly the slowing down and the speeding up that eats up the time rather than the dwell time; if there are any present speed restrictions through Watertown, that would lessen the effect.

(I noticed years ago on the NEC that the PRR had many interlockings on or near restrictive curves and assumed it was so they could cross a train over where it had to slow down anyway.)
  by jp1822

daybeers wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:27 pm How do the stops take 2-3 minutes? Level boarding helps a lot, but I'm used to more like 15-60 seconds.
There's no sense of urgency by passengers boarding - most of the time, and also the crew sometimes too. Tickets being scanned on the platform is the BIGGEST sticking point. Single level or high level, the amount of time has certainly gotten longer, overall, in recent times to load and unload passengers.
  by Mackensen

daybeers wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:27 pm How do the stops take 2-3 minutes? Level boarding helps a lot, but I'm used to more like 15-60 seconds.
With Midwestern corridor trains using Horizon stock you have three issues:
  • No level boarding, so passengers are carrying luggage up and down steps
  • No automatic doors
  • Boarding restricted to where a crew member is present (a function of the first two)
I used to be a fairly regular traveler on the Wolverine and those three factors always dictated a boarding measured in minutes. Amtrak could eliminate a lot of headaches for itself by going over to proof-of-payment, but that wouldn't address those three issues.
  by charlesriverbranch

On the Downeaster, which has been running with Amfleet I coaches (but is being converted to Horizons), you still can't board or detrain anywhere but in Boston or Brunswick from more than one door. The other stops only have "mini" high level platforms. I gather the Borealis stations don't even have those.
  by RandallW

Amtrak is really wanting to do pre-ticketing where they don't control access to the platform b/c otherwise homeless and/or addicts use the trains as conveniences and its way easier for the crew to prevent them boarding than to get them ejected at the next station.
Last edited by RandallW on Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by STrRedWolf

RandallW wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:53 am Amtrak is really wanting to do pre-ticketing where they don't control access to the platform b/c otherwise homeless and/or addicts use the trains as conveniences and its way easier for the crew to prevent them boarding than to get the ejected at the next station.
Easier to reject them early than have to call police to eject them later. Saves on delay time as well.
  by eolesen

daybeers wrote: Completely unnecessary and inconvenient. Juggling luggage, possibly toddlers, and they make you whip out your ticket?!
And yet, millions do this daily at airports and intercity bus terminals worldwide...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Olesen, likely before your time as well as anyone else's other than mine around here, tickets were lifted in flight by the "Stews" as you were getting used to the four P&W's decibel level.

Ah, for the days as depicted in the "first of 'em" ('68) Airport flicks, where appropriately attired people went about uncrowded airports with nary a thought of TSA. Nevermind that the "bad boy" (inspired by real life) in that flick was the vanguard to that noted agency's formation.