• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pdtrains

Great video. 2 repowered baldwins and 23 door and a half 50' box cars. Pretty amazing, Glad the RR is still active..
  by mjp456

Heard the train go to the pier today around 8:30 with a beautiful new cast P3. Most likely both Baldwins. Look for a return trip later today.
  by JohnFromJersey

From the DRRR thread, hundreds of ties, if not more, were dropped in Farmingdale over the last week. Word is, these ties will be used to replace ties along the stretch of track between the wye in Farmingdale to the connection with Earle.
Earlier this year, there were a couple of interchanges between Earle and "the outside." I wonder if those were a "test run" for Earle getting some sort of service again, and this tie replacement is in preparation of some sort of regular Earle service?
  by JohnFromJersey

Per a poster on Facebook, who got this information from C&D during the OLS train, Earle will be replacing 200-300 boxcars with more modern 50 and 60 foot cars, and the ties are for greatly improving the section of track between Farmingdale and Earle.
  by mjp456

That's great news. Those boxcars are old, rusty, and squeal a lot. Back in 2008 I managed to catch a very long SA31 with one CSX loco in Red Bank and it had one half of brand new USN boxcars and the other the lumber for Woodhaven.
  by Bracdude181

Wait, 2008 and they were still bringing cars to them? I thought the last time under Conrail was in 2005 or 06?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

by mjp456

Yes I saw it it was very rare
  by Bracdude181

Interesting. I could've sworn the last time was the two insulated boxcars during that time frame. I have the picture somewhere. Will post it when I find it.

I also have a picture of Csx 8751 (still conrail blue at the time) and a CSX Dash 8 sitting just beyond the fence.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk