Railroad Forums 

• Hero loco driver returns to his roots

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#542517  by David Benton

The longest-serving Toll train driver in New Zealand is finishing his career the way he started, with a nostalgic last shift driving a steam train.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4572562a6000.html

One thing the story doesnt mention is the erosion by retirement of steam qualified drivers . Hopefully the skills will be passed no to younger drivers .
 #546885  by gravelyfan

The song and photo essay are top notch. What a great honor. Did I hear correctly (at 1:22 remaining) him say that the "DX is the best loco ever?"

In the on-board video interview (in the Toll diesel), what service was he operating?

Great stuff, thanks for the links.

Rich
 #546960  by David Benton

i didnt catch him saying that . plus he is driving a dc class locomotive . ( the original da class the dc 's were rebuilt form arent that much younger than the ja steam locomotive ) . The service are the long distance commuter services to the wiarapapa , through the rimutakaa tunnel ( 8km , 5 miles long ) . This service is just recieveing rebuilt ex br mk2 carriages , which are shown on the passing train .
Glad you enjoyed it , i am pleased that the tv news chose to honour him in this way .
 #546969  by gravelyfan

The "DX" line is in the song tribute, not the interview, at the point where the counter is down to about 1:22.
Thanks for the info on the train services.
 #546978  by David Benton

sorry , my mistake , that does appear to be what he sings . Wether that is Fred's view , or words to fit the song , only they know . The Dx class have been very sucessful workhorses . I havent heard of many problems with them . Probably the biggest compliment you could pay to them is that they havent made alot of modifications to them , depite been over 30 years old .
heres the Wikipedia page on them .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_DX_class