Railroad Forums 

• hello all

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#58206  by keeper1616

Hello - Just thought I would introduce myself, as I will be taking Tamping Pick's place as co-moderator here in LV land.

My name is Cyrus and I am a full-time EMT in Rochester, NY as I finish my studies at RIT.

Having been a life-long railfan from about 3 miles west of Van Etten, NY, I grew up in LV history and was a member of the LV museum in Sayre for a few years.

I currently am an N-scale modeler who models LV and Conrail had they co-existed in 1990-2000ish, depending on the day. (I'll see if I can get a couple of pics of my dash 8s in LV colors up soon)

So I guess be nice, and lets see if we can get some questions answered - Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question...
Last edited by keeper1616 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#58225  by scottychaos

Hi Cyrus,
welcome aboard! :)

ahh! another "modern" LV modeler!
I also plan to model the "LV of today"! ;)
I plan to paint up some SD70's when they come out..in G-gauge!
(yes, please show us model photos!)

when were you a member of the Sayre museum?
I was a member from the beginning (about 1983-84)
through 1988..(when I left for college)
I grew up in Waverly..

Scot

#58724  by keeper1616

I was a member of the museum from 1991-1994 (give or take a few years) and again in the new building (with the layout) for a couple of months...not sure when that was...

#58797  by Zeke

Howdy, Keeper maybe we can get Keith Bednar back on the forum he was a great source of information. PICK was'nt the greatest of moderators with the I am never wrong attitude. Anybody on here no how to contact Mr. Bednar ?

#58822  by CAR_FLOATER

Hey Zeke.......Well I'm glad SOMEBODY said that about Mr. Pick, I can't agree MORE!
And to answer your question, yes, I can contact Keith and let him know......He is the man with all those little juicy tidbits of LV knowledge that we "need" to help answer all our "wacky" questions, all because some of us were born too late! (I'm 35 by the way)
I will let everyone know what Keith says, if he doesn't already know about "Mr. Know-It-All's" departure.

Clear sailing,

Ralph Heiss, AKA Car Floater
M.P. 28 on the NY Division
 #58825  by Lehighrrgreg

Not only was he a know-it-all...but I felt that his posts were sometimes rather condescending, as if he was constatly bothered by researching things. That even shows in the dramatic nature of his final post. Couldnt a simple email to Otto or Scot suficed? To be fair, once and a while he would provide some great info and was often great to deal with. But from his last post.... when do most of us have the time to research everything?..we dont...or at least I dont. Most of us dont really research for this forum on a daily basis other than general research for the topics we already are interested in knowing about. Its an ongoing dialogue of things we know to be true. Some of us research without knowing it because we are interested and its feeding our own knowledge. I too agree, any moderator that would have alienated Keith Bednar angry in a forum on the LV should have been replaced long ago.

Lets keep it rolling....
 #58862  by wis bang

I'm always glad to see interest in the LV. I grew up in Easton and my grandfather retired from being a conductor in '61 with a heart problem and his baby brother was a Car Knocker at Richards Yard so I always take an interest in the LV posts. all I can say is we need MORE of them. good Luck.

#59090  by keeper1616

1) Lets try and keep the Pick-bashing and other person-bashing to a minimum, ok? It's not too bad now, but lets keep it that way.

2) In terms of the wacky questions, bring them on...I have plenty myself, being born 7 years after the death of the LV, I have no first hand experience and will be asking as I can think of them :)
 #59157  by CAR_FLOATER

Hi Cyrus......

I agree that any "bashing" is bad, and should for the most part, never be tollerated, but Zeke, Lehighrrgreg and myself have a point......Have you ever read some of Pick's posts? I am not going to try to rile everyone up here, but lets be honest, he is the reason why we ALL lost a great asset to this group. I firmly believe that there are those who just sit back and listen, those who get involved in discussions, and then those who run like a bull thru a china shop with there attitudes on ANY list. Last time I checked, we were here to share, learn, and keep the dream of the LV alive, not to be jerks. I think, and hope, that we have a good group now, the only way it can get better is if Keith decides to rejoin our discussions, and help us learn THAT much more about the Valley.

Thank you for alowing me to speak my mind, I'll get off my soapbox now and run some trains,

Car Floater

#59614  by charlie6017

It would be nice to also be able to get Mike Bednar on this board in addition to his brother Keith. I really enjoy Mike's articles in "The Railroad Press". I'm looking forward to the LV board again.
 #59794  by Keith Bednar

Hi "Charlie 6017. I too wish brothers Mike and Dan got on this forum . Mike does not mess with a computer and Dan is to busy working for NS to have time to get any sleep, let alone with messing with the computer. He will however get on from time to time.They both have a much better memory then I and also are much smarter then me.I drank to much beer. Ha Ha , I could write a book on all of my dumb moves. Anyway look out for the story from Mike in TRP about our ride on the LV Alco 218 , from Cementon to Easton in the early 1960"s. I would tell it but all I will let that up to Mike.I would also screw it up because my memory is not near as good as Mike's. It will be a GREAT story however.A real taste of the LV and how the men got things done back then. Also how great the RS Alcos were, and the business the LV had.Well that is it for know. Take er easy. Keith Bednar

#108996  by mmc conductor

as a son and a grandson of LEIGH VALLEY WRECKMASTERS i was wondering if anyone could direct me to a list of other LEIGH VALLEY RAILROADERS.. i enjoy talking with my father about what a railroad use to be, and would like to give info. on some of his friends. they both worked out of oak island thank you for any help given
 #109069  by Matt Langworthy

Welcome aboard keeper1616! Does anyone know the schedule and motive power of the Sayre-Geneva local in the late '40s and '50s?