Railroad Forums 

• Has it been 5 years already????

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #23051  by rcbsd45

Today is June 1st, 2004. It marks the five year anniversary of the split of CR by CSX and NS. Time flies, doesn't it? Any random thoughts on where the affected Parties will be in five more years? And I'd be interested in hearing some comments/opinions about the split in general as well as the past five years....

#24902  by mick

CSX engines are smelly.
 #34348  by jmp883

I was sorry to see Conrail go. I remember that, initially, CSX handled the takeover a lot better than NS did in regard to keeping trains running. As time blurs memories, I don't recall why Conrail was sold. I know for the last few years of their existence they were making money and were one of the better stocks to own among transportation stocks. I know in my area (northern NJ), which is primarily NS territory now, train service is lower now than it was under Conrail. Many local jobs have been reduced in frequency of operation or have abolished outright. The Southern Tier between Port Jervis and Binghamton only has an occasional train running compared to the days when Conrail was running the OIBU/BUOI.

CSX, on the other hand, seems to have increased the amount of trains they are running, especially on the River Line. I used to work in Rockland County, NY within earshot of the River Line and remember hearing trains blowing for the crossing in town all day long. From what I've read and seen, that hasn't changed a whole lot.

Was splitting Conrail a good thing? Who knows.....that question probably won't be able to be answered until NS and CSX are either taken over by some other railroad or both railroads cease to exist.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL!
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#62294  by dave76

I'm in Northern NJ too and I its sad to say, but I am now sad to see Conrail gone, since NS took over the majority of the freight drilling operations, I have to say the condition of the ROWs, and NS refusing to offer freight service on some OOS lines is killing me. Conrail was'nt exactilly running out to get local service either, but when a potential customer contacted them they responded. These are also a lot of rumers I heard.

#62332  by glennk419

I still have my "Let Conrail Be Conrail" bumper sticker and pin. One never knows.....I too miss all the blue can openers and Q units, even though a few are still around.