Railroad Forums 

• Harrisburg area train watching

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1129903  by Missyg24

I'll be in Harrisburg in two weeks. Im new to train watching there. Usually do Altoona-Cassandra area.
Is the area busy?
Even on Saturdays?
Best spots to get trains from Duncannon-Enola.
 #1131134  by lvrr325

There is always something moving in Enola. I drove through in early October total pot-luck and took several pictures, and caught a train coming at me just above town too. 11 is super busy, though, best to pick a spot and stay there for a while.
 #1132341  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Go north to Marysville. At the light take a left and then go under 11/15 and follow that down to boat ramp right next to Rockville bridge. GREAT spot and busy too. I got 5 trains in under an hour. Only reason I left was because it rained.Saw Wabash unit at south end of Enola. Nowhere to stop to get a shot of it. Old BN green unit there too. Saw a string of former UP SD's with what looked like NS style numbers under windows at north end. There is a parking area right near where the north hump is. Saw a little action there before moving on.
I want to get some action in Harrisburg. The big bridges going across Susque are one place I'd like to go. I see a station as I drive south on I-83. I want to check that out too.
 #1132547  by lvrr325

The former UP, ex-CN&W SD50s have been there for at least four months; they do have NS numbers, and are rebuild fodder but did see service for a while.
 #1133448  by Missyg24

thanks guys.
im staying at the Bridgeview B&B with my fiance.
how do i get to enola yard exactly?
i seen trains from Rockville town side and from along 322 (north side).

also wheres the best place to get Lady Liberty in the SusieQ (your opinion)
 #1133510  by charlie6017

Hey Missy,

After you and your fiancee stay at Bridgeview, can you share your thoughts about your experience
there? Just would like to hear feedback about there in case I ever get the chance to get there myself.

Thanks!

Charlie
 #1137692  by Missyg24

Bridgeview Bed & Breakfast was great. Loved the view, i stayed one night in a comfortable, home feeling building.
Nice room, great view of the bridge from my window.
Theres a roon with front view of the bridge, lots of chairs for a group of people.
Digital layout of the tracks (some of Buffalo line, Rockville, Harrisburg yard, Enolda Yard, & some of Pburgh Line).
It was along the Susquehanna River between Rockville Bridge & Enola Yard.
Only lil issue was getting to it from US 15 in Marysville, the tight streets & the close clearance under US 15.
I stayed for a discount from the owner Keith Latimer.
I am the 1st person from Facebook to stay at the B&B he said.

Caught my 1st heritage unit also while inh the area (Wabash)
Attachments:
Rockville Bridge from my room (Conestoga Room)
(32.73 KiB) Downloaded 4193 times
 #1138561  by Missyg24

theres 1 thing i heard the owner say.
Public is welcome to take pictures, just stop in and say hello and do not be rude to his guest.
he is a nice guy.
he told me 1time ppl came to the b&b and walked on his deck "shhuuusshheedd his guest, when they werent guests.

so hyped for next visit, meet new friends
 #1148841  by Missyg24

i maybe be going back to the area next weekend.
and wanted to know more on the Lorgan Line (old RDG line)