Railroad Forums 

• Happy Birthday TEE! 1957 to 2007

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#389933  by sealforvr

Ironically just as the USA was abandoning rail, Europe was embracing it with a new system of deluxe, high speed, cross border trains.

50 years ago the president of Netherlands Rail came up with the idea of high speed trains that could cross borders easily and give first rate service to both the tourist and business passenger alike. This has since morphed into the ultra fast TGV, Thalys and ICE services.

But it all started with a man and a concept.

Different countries seem to be marking it in different ways , with the French and Italians doing nothing, and the Germans doing the most, with websites, tours, even a reconstituted Rhinegold, complete with restored dome car and pulled by a B-103 loco, all freshly painted in TEE cream and red.

A group of Swiss enthusuast have purchased the old Northlander and brought it back home to Switzerland for restoration and excursion runs.

Lets hope someone buys some of the INOX cars from the Mistral, Cisalpin and Etoile du Nord, re attaches them to a 40000 series locomotive and sets up some wine country tours.

Happy birthday TEE!

Brock

#389934  by sealforvr

Here is a link to one of the companies running excursions on the rebuilt Rhiegold (in German but tons of pics)

http://www.z-et.de/

B

#390020  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Very interesting . I take it the TEE brand is no longer used in regular service ?
No, they ended several years ago. In 1957 they were the only fast trans-border trains, but now there are many. I remember when they were new, and they were a truly exciting development. I remember the exhibition at the Brussels International Exhibition (Tentoonstelling/Exposition) in 1958. However, I never had the money to travel on any of them. If I crossed a frontier it would be on an ordinary train.

Thalys is the best organised group of routes, and Eurostar is of course similar. But TGVs go from France to Switzerland, and ICE also cross frontiers. The Talgo still crosses from Spain to France.