Railroad Forums 

• Hamlet-Dillon-Pembroke

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1327878  by CPF363

How does CSX operations in and around Hamlet, Dillon and Pembroke work and what kind of train activity is there in this area? Do most northbound trains on the A-Line run north to Dillon, then turn away from the A-Line to Hamlet where that are classified then return back to the A-Line at Pembroke for move to the north and vise versa for southbound moves? How many trains generally run in and around this area and does anything run during the daylight? Can one see activity at Hamlet Yard? What kind of freight activity runs directly between Dillon and Pembroke on the A-Line? Is there any schedule for Tropicana Juice trains? What is the general speed for most freight moves on these routes?
 #1327956  by roberttosh

I'm no expert, but I don't think that Hamlet is used as a long distance class yard or pick-up/drop-off point for trains running between the deep Southeast and the Northeast on the A-line. I think its primary purpose now is more of a gathering point for regional traffic terminating or originating in the Carolinas, though it does also serve as a classification point for through traffic coming to or from the Atlanta line and heading to or from the upper East coast.