Railroad Forums 

• Hamersley Iron C628's fact check help

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#466814  by NYC21295

Group,

Hamersley Iron Purchased 5 C628's, a group of 3 and then 2 more. I know that the first 3 were built in Schenectady on Sales Order 21232, and carried Construction Numbers 3415-01 to 03. However, I do not know if the final 2 were built in Schenectady or Australia, as I have read conflicting accounts that state both. I know that they carried Construction numbers 3482-01 and 02, but I do not know the Sales order number. A confirmation either way would be a great help.

Also, I have read that Goodwin was not ready to build the units in Australia, so that is why they were built in Schenectady. Is this true?

Many thanks,

Stephen McMillan

#468300  by Allen Hazen

I don't know. My first port of call with this question would be the "Locopage" website of Australian diesel rosters-- I assume you've already looked there.
Only print source I have handy is "Motive Power" by Leon Oberg (Kenthurst NSW: Kangaroo Press, 1995), which is definitely railfan scholarship. For what it's worth, Oberg says (p. 63) "Five were ordered from A E Goodwin, but since delivery was urgent, the first three were actually built as Alco Prodiucts' Schenectady plant and shipped from the United States.... [...] [They] entered service during September and October 1965. At that time, A E Goodwin was coming to terms with the construction of the balance and these finally entered traffic in the latter part of June 1968."

#469249  by N. Todd

Not sure of the builder but have sales order as 21286.