Railroad Forums 

• Guilford Freight Symbols

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#238706  by jonnhrr

One thing that has puzzled me - Guilford runs trains with destinations RJ (Rotterdam Jct.) and also SE (Selkirk) for example RURJ and SEED. Since both of these destinations are on CSX what is the reason for two different destinations? There is actually a third connection with CSX via Ayer and Q426/Q427.

Are there reasons why cars might be routed via one route over the other?

Jon

#238716  by roberttosh

This has always been a little confusing to me as well and I'm not sure how things have changed recently, but at one time, on traffic coming from Maine, if it was cars destined for points South (i.e. NJ, PA, MD, VA, NC, GA, FL, etc) it went straight to Selkirk over Barbers (Worcester) on the Q-427/POSE. If it was traffic heading West or Southwest, it went to Deerfield and then Rotterdam Jct, where in theory the train was picked up by CSXT and sent out to Willard, OH for reclassification (thus avoiding Selkirk). Again, I think that was how it was at one time, not sure if it has changed but for some reason I think EVERYTHING may be going through Selkirk these days regardless of which direction it is ultimately heading. Eastbound, traffic for Maine moves over CSXT to Barbers, then up to Portland on Q-426/SEPO, while everything for points short of Maine moves from Selkirk to Rotterdam then on to Deerfield for reclassification on SEED. Hope that helps some!!

#238912  by cpf354

roberttosh wrote:This has always been a little confusing to me as well and I'm not sure how things have changed recently, but at one time, on traffic coming from Maine, if it was cars destined for points South (i.e. NJ, PA, MD, VA, NC, GA, FL, etc) it went straight to Selkirk over Barbers (Worcester) on the Q-427/POSE. If it was traffic heading West or Southwest, it went to Deerfield and then Rotterdam Jct, where in theory the train was picked up by CSXT and sent out to Willard, OH for reclassification (thus avoiding Selkirk). Again, I think that was how it was at one time, not sure if it has changed but for some reason I think EVERYTHING may be going through Selkirk these days regardless of which direction it is ultimately heading. Eastbound, traffic for Maine moves over CSXT to Barbers, then up to Portland on Q-426/SEPO, while everything for points short of Maine moves from Selkirk to Rotterdam then on to Deerfield for reclassification on SEED. Hope that helps some!!
For westbound traffic especially, it's gotten quite flexible now, apparently. Trains symboled for Selkirk can be directed to East Deerfield instead of Barber's. A POSE ran to East Deerfield last week. A GRS powered train called WASE, which hauls the Barber traffic out of Maine, usually drops the Barbers near or at Ayer and then either goes west to East Deerfield or just ends up at Ayer.
The CSX routinely delivers and picks up trains Q426/427 at Barber to and from Selkirk, but once on ST, they can be designated as SEAY/AYSE, or SEPO/POSE, and go either just to Ayer and Lowell, or all the way through to Portland, with the CSX power. Just recently Q426 was reported to have waited 36 hours on the CSX main at Worcester before being able to head up the branch to Barber. Since this is the only freight on the Worcester Main now, I wonder if all the CSX traffic will go to Rotterdam eventually, if they start experiencing operational problems?

#239059  by jonnhrr

I have heard the reason for the delays to Q426/Q427 is a shortage of crews qualified on the Worcester Main. Normal CSX Boston Line crews can only operate as far as Burncoat St. I believe.

It might make sense for Guilford to discontinue using the Worcester Main as I do not believe there are any local customers on it beyond St. Gobain which I believe is switched by P&W. I guess for CSX it would be a shorter haul and less revenue for them but the need to have qualified crews might be enough of a hassle to negate that.

#239106  by roberttosh

jonnhrr wrote:I have heard the reason for the delays to Q426/Q427 is a shortage of crews qualified on the Worcester Main. Normal CSX Boston Line crews can only operate as far as Burncoat St. I believe.

It might make sense for Guilford to discontinue using the Worcester Main as I do not believe there are any local customers on it beyond St. Gobain which I believe is switched by P&W. I guess for CSX it would be a shorter haul and less revenue for them but the need to have qualified crews might be enough of a hassle to negate that.
Don't ST crews operate Q 426/427 East of Barbers Station? The delays you're talking about were more of an issue with the Auto train I believe, as that was operated to Ayer with CSXT crews. Also, St Gobain isn't served by the P&W and in fact is rarely served anymore period, but is definately an ST customer.