Railroad Forums 

• GRS In Nashua on 3/15/06

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#225326  by GP40MC 1116

Got to see GRS Comming through Nashua across E.Hollis St on Wednesday afternoon/evening about 5:30-5:45ish. I have never seen the Coal train. It was interesting, the crossing gates went down, then back up.. and we thought it was something messed up with it, but sure enough GRS came through with a GP40 im not sure what number as well as a GP40-2 number i think was 509 or 508. I was heading towards Hudson on E. Hollis St and the train was heading out of the yard. Otherwise an interesting find, anyone know more info about GRS opperations in Nashua?

#225556  by slotcanyoneer

There is a local that works the yard called NA-1 but I'm really not sure what customers they serve or how much work they do. I don't know if I am mistaken or not but I don't think any other road freight trains other than the Bow coal train go through Nashua.

#225742  by GP40MC 1116

slotcanyoneer wrote:There is a local that works the yard called NA-1 but I'm really not sure what customers they serve or how much work they do. I don't know if I am mistaken or not but I don't think any other road freight trains other than the Bow coal train go through Nashua.

Thanks!, I am prety sure this was the Bow Coal Train, speaking because of the long line of cars and the 2 loco's up front. And it looed like coal inside the cars anyways when it was going by. It goes to Manchester next or? I thought the Coal train always had BNSF or NS power?

#225779  by citystation1848

Yup, you probably saw the coal train if all the cars looked similar. Nashua has other freight besides the coal train. Of course, it's mostly just the locals. EDNA/NAED is what supplies the Nashua yard, but you'd only see this train if you were south of Nashua.

The Nashua locals are NA-1 and NA-2. Now, I still haven't gotten it straight what the difference is, but most of the time the locals are NA-2. NA-2 works the Hillsboro Branch out to Wilton and the New Hampshire Main up to the New England Southern interchange in Manchester.

NA-1 was often used for locals that headed south, which I've heard have gone as far south as North Chelmsford. Of course the NA-1 and NA-2 designations aren't set in stone, as I've heard a train working on the Hillsboro Branch being referred to as NA-1.

As for the coal train, it usually has Norfolk Southern power or whatever NS decides to send on the train. Occasionally Guilford gets its own power on the train. I think it depends on what power is available. If the train only had two engines, it must have been a smaller load. Usually you have three 6 axle locomotives... if Guilford takes one of the normal trains, you see 4 or 5 Guilford locomotives on the head end.

The coal train goes through Manchester up to Bow, which is the town just south of Concord.

If anyone is interested in photos around Nashua of the coal train or the locals, check out this link: Nashua City Station: Railroading Today

Matt

#225859  by roberttosh

May have been a PW Coal train from Providence as they tend to be smaller and usually have ST power.