Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Type 9 Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1470020  by CRail

"First Car Stop Here” signs are not relevant to Type 9 developments and any further discussion of them in this thread will be deleted.
 #1474086  by bostontrainguy

I think the car is kind of ugly but the full skirting does make it look sleeker than I expected. However, I bet if those skirts become problematic they will be the first thing the T removes.

Usual testing is between Riverside and Chestnut Hill between 12 midnight and 5 AM if you want to try to catch it. Most of the actual testing will take place just west of Chestnut Hill station which is pretty inaccessible except for the Hammond Pond Reservation hiking trail but that will be manned and blocked by T personnel.
 #1474094  by smsullivan11

That thing is very ugly, I originally wrote fugly, but then the Type 8 came buzzing by in my mind and at least this has a tiny bit of good looks on the front around the destination sign. Did any do any type of "designing" of the area around the front door? It looks like they just ran out of budget there and decided nothing at all was the best way to go. Does anyone else think the windows are smaller? It is so sad to see another opportunity to make the public perception a little bit better just go in the exact opposite direction. Also to the moron(s) that painted that much white on a trolley that buzzes around dirty tunnels on a system that struggles to keep equipment clean... good job.
 #1474144  by BandA

That paint scheme is bad; Blocky for no reason. Should go with green dip & racing stripes! Is there any functional purpose to the skirting? Does it protect the motors from snow?
 #1474159  by jwhite07

Glad they got the frames for the ads on right away. That was a priority I'm sure. Way to make an ugly car even uglier.
 #1474181  by dieciduej

My guess is the truck skirts will be gone in the first three months of service. Santa Fe quickly ditched them on the One Spot Twins.

JoeD
 #1476476  by Disney Guy

Possible problem with the wheel skirts is interfering with the trucks on sharp curves. Has the car gone around the Park St. loop yet?

Didn't the public help choose if not help design the paint scheme?
 #1476485  by bostontrainguy

Disney Guy wrote:Possible problem with the wheel skirts is interfering with the trucks on sharp curves. Has the car gone around the Park St. loop yet?

Didn't the public help choose if not help design the paint scheme?
Good point. Actually some sharp curves in the Reservoir Yard have the trucks swing out pretty far. Doesn't appear that these shirts would allow that and it doesn't look like they turn with the trucks right? But I got to believe someone somewhere at the T knew what they were doing in regards to the matter.

Another point is that an operator would not be able to do an extensive "circle check" of their car if needed. One reason you will probably never see skirts on buses in Massachusetts although they are used in other states.
apta-nabi01.jpg
apta-nabi01.jpg (213.98 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
There were a few paint schemes that the public could vote on for the the new Red, Orange and Greenline cars.
 #1476505  by ceo

I am confident that CAF's engineers are competent enough to design side skirts that won't interfere with the trucks on sharp curves. Remember that the rail gauge is only 4' 8 1/2" and the wheels are tucked pretty far under there.
 #1476506  by dieciduej

ceo wrote:I am confident that CAF's engineers are competent enough to design side skirts that won't interfere with the trucks on sharp curves. Remember that the rail gauge is only 4' 8 1/2" and the wheels are tucked pretty far under there.
I don't think it would be a clearance issue, although in a deep snow it could be interesting. I think if the trucks become a maintenance issue the shops crews will dispense with the skirts. Speaking of snow, what will happen when snow kicked up from the ROW packs in between the skirt and truck frame.

JoeD