Railroad Forums 

• Gray MSW Containers

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #686767  by crblue

Forgive me if this has already been answered before, I haven't ventured up to the Oak Point/ Fresh Pond area in a good 2 years so it's been difficult staying current with the industry aspect of the operations up there. From looking at some video clips on Youtube I've noticed that a better part of Q430 and Q431's consist are AWXX flat cars with gray and in some cases a combination of both the gray and blue containers. What role (if any) does New York and Atlantic play in handling these cars? It looks like Harlem River Yard has always been all green Waste Management cubes so that ruled out my original belief these cars were going to the Bronx, is there some sort of transfer station out on the island that I'm missing where these cars are loaded/unloaded?

Thanks
 #686786  by Amtrak7

Well, Brooklyn has decided to ship out its waste by rail via the Bushwick Branch.
 #686812  by freightguy

I think the grey and blue ones may make their way out to Emjay Environmental in Pineaire(Brentwood, NY).
 #687635  by crblue

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out the area on live maps or google earth. If I recall from what I read in an earlier thread Waste Management is the one moving waste via the Bushwick Branch so that would mean all green containers there too. There's always been an eclectic collection of gondolas down in that area.
 #688012  by jayrmli

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out the area on live maps or google earth. If I recall from what I read in an earlier thread Waste Management is the one moving waste via the Bushwick Branch so that would mean all green containers there too. There's always been an eclectic collection of gondolas down in that area.
There was a plan at one time for Waste Management to fund rebuilding of the Bushwick Branch and have cars floated out of 65th Street. The reasoning behind this is it would circumvent the "moratorium agreement" regarding the movement of MSW through Queens. With the expiration of this agreement, that was no longer necessary.

Jay
 #688038  by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:There was a plan at one time for Waste Management to fund rebuilding of the Bushwick Branch and have cars floated out of 65th Street. The reasoning behind this is it would circumvent the "moratorium agreement" regarding the movement of MSW through Queens. With the expiration of this agreement, that was no longer necessary.
Do you mean the Evergreen Branch, which I guess could connect the Bushwick and the Bay Ridge branch? That would be an all Brooklyn routing, while sending the MSW up the Bushwick to Maspeth (Rust St?) and back would cross into Queens, of course. Or did the agreement allow such a case?
Actually, I though I saw images of housing build on the Evergreen branch ROW, via Forgotten NY, so that wouldn't have worked anyway...
 #688765  by jayrmli

Do you mean the Evergreen Branch, which I guess could connect the Bushwick and the Bay Ridge branch? That would be an all Brooklyn routing, while sending the MSW up the Bushwick to Maspeth (Rust St?) and back would cross into Queens, of course. Or did the agreement allow such a case?
Actually, I though I saw images of housing build on the Evergreen branch ROW, via Forgotten NY, so that wouldn't have worked anyway...
No, the Bushwick Branch. The agreement banned the interchange of MSW within Queens. Since the run would originate out of Brooklyn and then end up at 65th Street, there was no interchange within Queens.

Jay
 #688935  by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:No, the Bushwick Branch. The agreement banned the interchange of MSW within Queens. Since the run would originate out of Brooklyn and then end up at 65th Street, there was no interchange within Queens.
Oh, that's different.
I thought the agreement banned MSW from traversing Queens althogether, not just interchange (so the Bushwich to Bay Ridge routing via Queens would be prohibited). At least that's how I remember Newsday reporting it all those years ago...