Railroad Forums 

• Grain Truck hit by train video

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#298275  by Lirr168

Awesome, great find! Thanks for sharing.

#298362  by GOLDEN-ARM

Funny to see how "inbred" that truck driver was, regarding crossing safety, but the car saw the impending wreck, and got out of the way. Too bad the cab wasn't hit, instead of the trailer. ( Did he really just say that? Yeah, he DID...... :P ) Awesome find, and thanks for sharing!!!

#298367  by jerrydww

I noticed that several of the cars had stopped to see what was happening. I'm sure the engineer was blowing the horn like there was no tomorrow and it had everyones attention.....well almost everyones attention. :wink:

Anyone know where this took place? What RR?

#298381  by Wasatch

According to comments on YouTube, it happened in Stuttgart, Arkansas.

#298427  by byte

There's a whole bunch of these on YouTube. Usually with the same general storyline - locomotive engineer blows horn like mad, truck driver disregards it, truck gets smashed, locomotive gets scratched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJonaGNF-E - NS train hits a truck, no sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA7t1seTHNc - Amtrak (Surfliner?) oblitherates the trailer of a semi truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HWrhtYPuR8 - A trio of IC SD40-2s nails a semi truck, sending it crashing into stopped traffic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jiI47KAnI - Surreal amateur footage of a long-hood-forward NS unit cutting a semi in half

#298483  by dieselsmoke

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Funny to see how "inbred" that truck driver was, regarding crossing safety, but the car saw the impending wreck, and got out of the way. Too bad the cab wasn't hit, instead of the trailer. ( Did he really just say that? Yeah, he DID...... :P ) Awesome find, and thanks for sharing!!!
Imagine if you were in that cab, imagine you were a really stupid man, that takes really bad decisions all the time, would you still think you deserve to die?

#298488  by GOLDEN-ARM

Imagine NOTHING. Imagine I am sick and tired of crashing into retards, then being sued by them, or their survived next of kin. Imagine I am tired of having my heart in my throat, (at every near collision, every single day) and living with the nightmare, of others peoples blood, on my snowplow. Imagine someone so stupid, as to "match wits" against a train, offering his (or her) DNA into the gene pool. Imagine if you don't like it, you can go hide under your desk. Imagine that........

(that wasn't you driving that truck, was it? :P )

#298533  by Lirr168

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Imagine NOTHING. Imagine I am sick and tired of crashing into retards, then being sued by them, or their survived next of kin. Imagine I am tired of having my heart in my throat, (at every near collision, every single day) and living with the nightmare, of others peoples blood, on my snowplow. Imagine someone so stupid, as to "match wits" against a train, offering his (or her) DNA into the gene pool. Imagine if you don't like it, you can go hide under your desk. Imagine that........

I am glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way! It is one thing if a train strikes a car because of malfunctioning gates or someone having the bad fortune of breaking down on the tracks. However, such incidents account for a small fraction of car vs. train accidents - more often than not thickheaded people get the idea that they can beat the train through the crossing.

Sure, it's a shame when someone gets killed (and if that were the case in the original video my posted reaction would have been much different). However, it's even more of a shame when the driver's family is able to profit from the person's stupidity by suing the railroad; I'm not sure how it works with the freight companies, but on the LIRR/MNCR, most cases are settled regardless of their merit to avoid negative publicity.

I think this is a good topic to discuss here, so I would like to keep it going. I just ask that all please stay mature about it.

#298579  by dieselsmoke

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Imagine NOTHING. Imagine I am sick and tired of crashing into retards, then being sued by them, or their survived next of kin. Imagine I am tired of having my heart in my throat, (at every near collision, every single day) and living with the nightmare, of others peoples blood, on my snowplow. Imagine someone so stupid, as to "match wits" against a train, offering his (or her) DNA into the gene pool. Imagine if you don't like it, you can go hide under your desk. Imagine that........

So you expect people to imagine how its to be you, while at the same time you refuse to imagine how its to be someone else, someone of lower intelligence than you.

You have to accept that some people are idiots, not by choice but because they are born idiots or raised idiots.
Now if it was by choice, you think anyone in this world would chose to be an idiot?

#298612  by GOLDEN-ARM

Imagine what it's like to be me? (who are these people of "lower intelligence"? I thought I WAS one of them) Not what was intended. "I" in this case, is a collective "I", representative of all of us, who suffer at the hands of the driving impaired. I do accept some people are idiots, and even after accepting that, I still respond to posts they make. Not sure, are you suggesting you weren't offered a choice? :P Anyone who disregards a train, moving at ANY speed, and is hit, deserves sympathy, or understanding, from nobody. And, for your next post, you might finally get around, to wondering if the crew was allright, unhurt and mentally unscarred. That would show you care about railroads/railroaders, which is what RR.Net is here for. Regards :P