Railroad Forums 

• GP40MC specs

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#877325  by butts260

CRail wrote:As a Mechanical employee at BET / Seashore life member often says, a locomotive is nothing but a subway car with its own power station (I'll bet anyone else who's active up there will know who I'm talking about :wink:).
Um... are subway cars now equipped with traction control?? An internet Siemens AG ad says that an SD70MAC has 175,500# starting tractive effort with a locomotive weight of 415,000#, implying 42% adhesion, using their traction control units. I wonder if the "Electricals" agree on the "a locomotive is nothing but ..."
 #877459  by MBTA3247

sery2831 wrote:Okay, the engine has RPMs, motors are electric.
Irrelevant. They both rotate, therefore RPM is a valid measurement for both.
butts260 wrote:
CRail wrote:As a Mechanical employee at BET / Seashore life member often says, a locomotive is nothing but a subway car with its own power station (I'll bet anyone else who's active up there will know who I'm talking about :wink:).
Um... are subway cars now equipped with traction control??
Probably, but mainly for dealing with wheel slip.
 #877555  by CRail

MBTA3247 wrote:Irrelevant. They both rotate, therefore RPM is a valid measurement for both.
Except RPM stands for Revolutions Per Minute, and I'm fairly certain electric motors don't revolve. Nice try though.
 #877575  by diburning

Actually, yes they do. The shaft of the motor revolves. In locomotives, there is a gear attached to the shaft which meshes with a gear welded to the axle to turn the wheel. The shaft is part of the motor (without the shaft, the motor would just be an electromagnet rapidly flipping its poles with no physical movement involved, and at that point, whether it technically is a motor or not is questionable)

#877580  by MBTA3247

CRail wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:Irrelevant. They both rotate, therefore RPM is a valid measurement for both.
I'm fairly certain electric motors don't revolve.
You're thinking of linear induction motors. ;)
 #877597  by MBTA1052

So what happened with 1132??
 #878118  by mbta1051dan

MBTA1052 wrote:So what happened with 1132??
Wrong thread, think you were looking for the top-deck discussion.
 #878337  by MBTA1052

No I mean how did 1132 get into the Deadline??? Did the tractor Motor burn out or something to cause the engine to be tooken Out Of Service??
 #878356  by ns3010

Where does it say anything about it being in the deadline? A quick search of "1132 deadline" shows all posts from 2007...
 #878417  by CRail

mbta1052 wrote:No I mean how did 1132 get into the Deadline??? Did the tractor Motor burn out or something to cause the engine to be tooken Out Of Service??
No really you have the wrong thread. This is for specifications regarding the locomotive in general, not for individual locomotives. Also, engines are taken out of service. Sorry to nitpick but my gears are grinding.
 #1595577  by BandA

What microprocessor(s) does the GP40MC use?
 #1606183  by Engineer Spike

BandA wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:40 pm What microprocessor(s) does the GP40MC use?
Good question which I'd like to know too. Did they retain the original -2 to be parts compatible with the F40 fleet/ If not, do they have a EM2000, or an aftermarket control system?
 #1606188  by mbrproductions

I thought it was a Cummins Microprocessor, I was told the "MC" stood for "Microprocessor Cummins", instead of "Massachusetts Commuter"