Railroad Forums 

• GP38H-3 freight/work units?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #839787  by train2

I ran across an Amtrak GP38H-3 unit the other day. First time I have seen one of these. The locomotive was different enough that it got my interest up. What can you guys tell me about the fleet of these units? Who rebuilt them and from what?

Can anyone explain the layout of the units. What's behind the radiator section? Could these unit make HEP?

What is in the big box on the front walkway, cab signals LSL?

T2
 #841167  by v8interceptor

train2 wrote:I ran across an Amtrak GP38H-3 unit the other day. First time I have seen one of these. The locomotive was different enough that it got my interest up. What can you guys tell me about the fleet of these units? Who rebuilt them and from what?

Can anyone explain the layout of the units. What's behind the radiator section? Could these unit make HEP?

What is in the big box on the front walkway, cab signals LSL?

T2
The GP38H-3s are former Toronto,Canada GO TRANSIT units built as GP40TCs (GP40's modified for commuter service with HEP) in the 1960's. After a long career in the Great White North they were sold to Amtrak as backup/work train power.
They were later rebuilt by NS's Juniata shops to GP38 specs. They do have cab signal equipment as I have seen them frequently at Amtrak's M.O.W yard on the NEC in Pawtucket, R.I..
 #841768  by jgallaway81

v8interceptor wrote:... They do have cab signal equipment as I have seen them frequently at Amtrak's M.O.W yard on the NEC in Pawtucket, R.I..
I would recommend caution using any form of logic applied to railroad operations... While this seems a logical argument, its not. NORAC rules permit work trains to operate in cab-signal territory even if they are NOT cab-signal equipped.