• GMTX GP38 #2081 in Pond?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by emfinite

Heard from a buddy on CSX that a GMTX leaser made its way to Pond this morning. Anyone know if it will be used by NYAR or is it on its way to BRT?
  by mikey cruz

Maybe a swap out for one of the HLCX loco's? It's about inspection time isn't it? Bout time some action happened on this forum LOL!
  by dedm30junk

Thats a beat up looking locomotive.If its going to Brookhaven Rail it will fit just right the all the dust flying around.
  by freightguy

It is for the NYAR. They are going to supposedly lease another one also. Not sure of what type of model. Kind of funny first power the 1997 NYA intercepted is still the newest in the fleet 1976/77. Someone said this one is a 1966 GP38 off the MoPac in Iowa Interstate scheme now.
  by mikey cruz

well if they are leasin it for extra power than that's a good thing at least. Thanks for the info Freight! I see she doesn't have dynamics damn she is old LOL. I wonder if she's set up for cab signals. Hopefully someone can get some shots of her on the road.
  by LINYARailfan

freightguy wrote:It is for the NYAR. They are going to supposedly lease another one also. Not sure of what type of model. Kind of funny first power the 1997 NYA intercepted is still the newest in the fleet 1976/77. Someone said this one is a 1966 GP38 off the MoPac in Iowa Interstate scheme now.
Is this leaser unit(s) for NYA going to be used in addition to what NYAR already has for its motive power? If so when will this unit(s) be making its first LIRR Mainline appearance and what time of day or night? Thanks.
  by mikey cruz

Chances are LINYA they are gonna test the unit the first couple of days, maybe around the yard or a short run or 2. That's just my opinion though I 'm sure once she hits the main people will start talkin. =)
  by deandremouse

Is it going to be repainted into NY&A colors and lettered for GMTX ?

Like some other shortlines have, East Penn for example.
  by mainline

It probably is a Horsepower unit. I can't see them investing in Cab signals . The NYA has been talking about HP units for years. The failed ex Conrail GP10's is an example. If its leased and they crap out they get sent back to GMTX. Win Win. Repaint???
  by Backshophoss

Without cab signal/ASC gear,can only be a trailing unit out east,could work alone only on Bay Ridge/Bushwick leads.
Local "taggers" will concider this a "blank canvas" for their "art".
  by mikey cruz

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I wonder who her rumored "sisters" gonna be and when she's comin.
  by DogBert

Given how the SWs look these days, it's hard to imagine them repainting it or the next one anytime soon.

I wonder if they'll bother using it as trailing power out east. That didn't work out so good with the gp10, which wasn't that much older than this one is. I see stone trains coming in 2-3 times a week these days, not sure how much of that is going east though. Maspeth seems to be getting at least a third of it.
  by mikey cruz

Are they havin financial troubles? Just wonderin because this GMTX unit is a GP38 w/o dynamics, I would think that they would wanna get somethin wit a little more power. I'm sure LIRR is strict on weight and axles but I don't think they'd be THAT limited ya know?