Railroad Forums 

• GMTX GP38 #2081 in Pond?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1192654  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Observed this in Fresh Pond last Saturday, about 7:45pm, appears to be yet another GP38-2 leaser, and judging from the scheme, looks like an ex-CSX unit. Anyone who knows more of this unit please do drop some info, any and all is appreciated!! :-)

Fresh Pond Junction, taken from the NYAR Yard Entrance at Otto Road (and no, I did not go anywhere close enough to be trespassing, I stood in the middle of Otto Road in the best position possible to get this view, and used the full extent of my EF-S 55-250 Canon Lens

Also of note, either NYAR is starting to amass its own MOW equipment collection, or they have a contract service doing work on their ROWs, because I did also notice some red colored and orange colored MOW trucks, and several red track cars, a ballast tamper, a ballast regulator, and a tie crane and dolly (all out of good photo range). Anyone care to elaborate on those as well, as all info is appreciated! :-)
 #1192719  by DogBert

GMTX sold 2081, so they sent 2199 to replace it. It is indeed exCSX.

The red work equip is probably Railroad construction co. vehicles - they do all sorts of trackwork for NY&A, mostly on the brooklyn & queens freight tracks that LIRR doesn't run on. Not sure what their present agenda is - maybe the 4th track install upstairs at Fremont, or Wheelspur, which looked very empty the last time I drove through there (gate was wide open).
 #1192820  by csx8851

I mean its not considered trespassing if you go past the Otto Road entrance(security booth) and go to the main office. I found that out by calling the company. They said that you have to let someone in the main office know who you are and they'll let you tour the yard. Just dont go onto the tracks :P. Considering the fact that you are a railroad employee, it shouldnt be too hard lol
 #1245445  by gregorygrice

Uncle Cheapo wrote:GMTX 2199 will be leaving NYA shortly. Tuesday is the last day it will be used. Will depart sometime next week back to GATX.
Has it left yet? I haven't seen it on any of the northbound CSX's out of Oak Point.
 #1246084  by gregorygrice

Uncle Cheapo wrote:Not yet, waiting for billing.
Roger. I'll keep and eye out. Since CSX only goes across on Saturdays, I'm guessing it'll be next week.
 #1246582  by DogBert

gregorygrice wrote:
Roger. I'll keep and eye out. Since CSX only goes across on Saturdays, I'm guessing it'll be next week.

?

Every day except sundays. The weekday run is early morning, and is back to oak point by 9pm (usually earlier though, 7-8am)
 #1247298  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:

?

Every day except sundays. The weekday run is early morning, and is back to oak point by 9pm (usually earlier though, 7-8am)

For some reason I thought it was the other way around. I still haven't seen it pass by up here in Croton West, so I'm guessing it's still down there.