Railroad Forums 

• GMTX GP38 #2081 in Pond?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1077190  by dedm30junk

Why cant you guys stay on topic. Its about the GMTX GP38. Has anyone seen it out on the road or even pictures of it on the train working in Pond or out on the island as a trailing unit.
 #1077210  by break the seals

dedm30junk wrote:Why cant you guys stay on topic. Its about the GMTX GP38. Has anyone seen it out on the road or even pictures of it on the train working in Pond or out on the island as a trailing unit.
It's still out of service awaiting a traction motor from what i heard last.
 #1077383  by Backshophoss

Did CSX "work"(use) the 2081 from Selkirk to Oak Point,and in the process cut-out a traction motor in route??
Or was 2081 bought "sight unseen" from a locomotive "broker"(dealer)??
Somebody is on the hook for the traction motor.
 #1077489  by DogBert

Any word on when this second gp38 might show up?

Not to go too off subject, but NYA has 6 units to work out east, how many trains run every day out east? Each requires 2 units. In queens I saw them using 4 units in maspeth recently. I'm assuming that happens when they're moving the stone cars in/out. 2SWs, 2MPs. Having the set of gmtx GP38s would free up the MP15 set here - maybe even the SWs since they have more horsepower.

As for 2081, I'm assuming they'll have to send it to LIRR to fix (if they can do it, or would even take up such a task for a unit they do not own) or offline & back out of town. P&W did that re-gearing work on that set of ex LIRR GPs a few years back - I wonder if they would be able to do it?
 #1077534  by deandremouse

I see why they call lease engines rent-a-wrecks, you never know what's wrong with them.

Wouldn't that be a liability on GMTXs part?
 #1077688  by freightguy

I doubt CSX brought it down "under power" it was probably towed. I think there is some sort of agreement if CSX tows it NYAR will be charged for the move. If it's part of the lashup "online" I don't think NYAR would be billed for the lease engine. Probably came down in the consist as another boxcar vs. providing power if it needed work the minute it set foot on the property.
 #1077691  by Backshophoss

Any repairs done to lease(rent-a-wrecks) units are a sort of co-op venture,the leasing RR must talk with
the owner(leasor) and figure out where the repairs are done,and who pays in some cases.
Rent-a-wrecks might see the owner's "home" shop maybe 1 time a year,at best.
 #1079915  by break the seals

159 facing west with 151 leading east on the rs80 through Mineola tonight at 9pm.
 #1084517  by lirrelectrician

Hello all,
The 2081 is at Morris Park for traction motor repairs. However from what I have heard is that the NYA actually bought the engine. This is coming from the guys at the shop so i cant confirm or deny it.

have a good weekend.

Mike Scholz- LIRR
 #1084541  by deandremouse

Oh GMTX sells engines? I thought iit was only lease deals and such.

That is great to hear! should go great with the rest of the fleet, and finally NY&A actually has a engine in service that they own