Railroad Forums 

• Ghost Trains

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#222720  by Engineer James

Now this was from a book...

That Lincoln's burial train comes along a certain strech of track, near the day it went past. Is this true? Completely see through.

Anyone have any info on it? Or maybe another story?

#222771  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sounds like one for Scooby, Shaggy, and the rest of the Mystery Gang............. :P

#222995  by Engineer James

*LOL*

#223446  by Hoosier Joe

The book "A Treasury of Railroad Folklore" has a 1929 story about it from the Albany Evening Times.It says the funeral train goes along the NYC mainline at midnight of April 27.

#223922  by UKrailwayman

Anyone intending to check this out ?

#223931  by mxdata

You can save your time looking for it this year. They ran it as an extra on February 29th.

#224205  by Engineer James

So, in 2 years then?
 #224374  by Komachi

mxdata zingged...

"You can save your time looking for it this year. They ran it as an extra on February 29th."

Nice.

But seriously, there have been a number of tales throughout the years of various ghost trains that have appeared around the country. One tale that sticks out in my mind (and I can't remember the name of the program off hand, but they were talking about various hauntings around the country) one woman talked about a ghost train that would run to one pont on an old ROW (the tracks long since removed) and back... although, said apperition consisted only of the sound of the steam engine and the erie glow of the headlight.

As for Lincoln's funeral train, I've never heard about that one. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if people have reported seeing it. Given the tragedy of Lincoln's assasination, anything connected with him may apperate from time to time in such a mannor (they say Lincoln himself still roams the White House).

Mind you, I've never seen anything of that nature, so I can neither prove nor disprove the existance of said "ghost trains." It all depends on what you want to believe.

#224395  by railroadcarmover

I wonder if any time an AEM7 broke down on the NEC if a ghost of a GG1 felt compelled to "rescue" it and its train. :wink:

#227139  by Sir Ray

This is the time to mention the real ghost train

http://chuckstraub.com/Letterboxing/Ghosttrain.htm
The Ghost Train was originally known as the New England Limited or the White Train. It rode the famous Air Line rails which were the fastest route between Boston and New York. The first trip of the Ghost Train was in 1891. This was a deluxe train that was a favorite of the business men, wealthy and the prominent citizens. President Benjamin Harrison came to ride it as it gained national attention. The cars were painted white and gold and had all the luxuries of the time. The sight of this white train speeding through Eastern Connecticut at twilight eventually gave it the nickname "The Ghost Train".
And so while it had Presidents riding it, Lincoln never did.

As for your Ghost Train, well, I'm afraid our favorite Mythbusters Adam and Jamie (and Kari, of course), don't do 'oogie-boogie' myths anymore...
one woman talked about a ghost train that would run to one pont on an old ROW (the tracks long since removed) and back... although, said apperition consisted only of the sound of the steam engine and the erie glow of the headlight.
Mark Twain wrote in his 'Life On The Mississippi' about a similar legend concerning a steamboat, which got trapped in a river chute which was silting up (and eventually became dry land), and which decades later people could see the deck lights and hear the steam engines chuffing and the deckhands shouting - so such tales have clearly been around for centuries...