Railroad Forums 

• Ghost Busters 2

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#22442  by TerryC

In Ghost Busters 2 there is are abandonded subway tunnels and the names escape me at the moment. The one that has the slime going through it and the one that has the ghost New York Central "Spirit of Albany". Are these tunnels real, what shape are they in, and where are they?

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/

keep asking, keep learning
 #22947  by Komachi

Terry,

There are abandoned stations all over the NYC subway system, but I'm not too sure about how many segments of tunnel are abandoned.

However, the tunnel that Ray (Dan Akroyd) drops into with the slime flowing through it is supposed to be the Beech Pneumatic Subway, a subway line that was built in the 1870s that used air pressure to push a car down the track. A small demonstration track was constructed that ran from a station at the corner of Warren and Broadway and ran about the distance of a block. It lasted until the 1880s and was abandoned shortly thereafter. The station was destroyed in a fire and the tunnel was demolished when the current subway system was constructed (I think it was the IRT or BMT... can't recall off hand). So, that was a bit of Hollywood magic playing off a bit of urban legend (some say parts of the line still exist... it doesn't).

Here's more info. on Beech's subway...
http://perso.club-internet.fr/fdelaitre/Beach.htm

#85127  by TerryC

Thanks Komachi.

keep asking, keep learning
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS

#184360  by p51

I'd agree with Komachi regarding what that line is supposed to be in the movie. But as for where the actually filmed it, believe it or not, it wasn't on any set. I can't recall the name of the club, but that's the area between the doorway and the floor of a dance club in Manhattan that had a Subway theme. They laid down tracks where people normally walked. That's why you see just a very short segment, as there'a door right behind them in real life...

Personally, I think the old abandoned narrow gauge line under Chicago is far more creepy and cool a place anyway...