Railroad Forums 

• GE Genesis Locomotives

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#301314  by mikeydc03

I have heard rumors that GE has released a preliminary Genesis drawing for the next generation. Does anyone have an article or picture from that. If Amtrak were to order Genesis again, would they use the old face or is the new Genesis better? What would a Genesis locomotive cost to produce? Can they still be ordered"

#301318  by DutchRailnut

here is concept Genesis
http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... eptlz9.jpg
cost is around 3.9 million for single mode and around 4.9 for dual mode.
no orders yet.
 #301324  by amtrakhogger

Apparently, GE is not cataloging the previous P series locomotives (ie P42/32) I think this is due to Tier 2 emissions requirements. However,
they still have an upgraded P series spec but no official catalog listing.
This may be because that passenger engines are "niche" units and GE may only build them if a large order is requested.

I remember reading several years ago that GE did a spec for a AC dual
mode passenger unit for carriers like NJT and Septa. NJT was interested but they balked at the high unit cost. The only way GE would come down on the price was if a larger order was presented, so NJT approached Septa
if they would consider going in on the deal. Septa declined owing to the
fact that they have no diesel territory and no plans to operate such territory any time soon. So ultimately the idea died. I don't remember if this was an official news item or an internet post on a bulletin board.

#301425  by Allen Hazen

Hmmm...
One striking difference between Vergara's "concept" design and the existing Genesis is ... MUCH BIGGER WINDOWS (and the trianfualr ones on the corners. Maybe there were complaints about poor visibility from the Genesis cab?
 #301427  by Bryanjones

mikeydc03 wrote:I have heard rumors that GE has released a preliminary Genesis drawing for the next generation. Does anyone have an article or picture from that. If Amtrak were to order Genesis again, would they use the old face or is the new Genesis better? What would a Genesis locomotive cost to produce? Can they still be ordered"
The older Genesis design locomotive is nolonger available (atleast in the US) due to the fact that it does not meet the stricter crash worthiness standards which took effect in either 2002 or 2003. Same goes for the F59PHI which was EMD's passenger offering. Ofcourse and new model would have to meet the new emissions standards, but this is not why the previous models were dropped from production. So no, the old "face" could not be used now, thats why there is a new design.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
 #302200  by es80ac

The new face looks much less crash worthy. It looks like a sharpened pencil tip, waiting to be broken...

Give me a GE freight wide cab any day.

#302208  by Allen Hazen

Long windowless side. top of the side wall slanted in to meet the curved roof. And now a pointed nose, too!
Does this remind anyone of something?
Can I have one in Tuscan Red with gold pinstripes?
(Grin!)

#302421  by Peter Radanovic

To some extent, this is not making me too happy. The nose of the current Genesis looks very aggressive, due to the two front windows, unlike what is shown in that photo!
The least that I could expect is an increase from the (4250) horsepower! :-D
 #302645  by amtrakhogger

I would hazard a guess that any new P series engine would have the
12 cyl EVO engine used in the ES 44 AC/DC.

#302879  by DutchRailnut

Correct the new Genesis would be having 12 cylinder GEVO and AC propulsion in both single and dual mode versions. the HP would be 4200 max.

#303152  by NJRail4129

Apparently the locomotives with the 12 cyl GEVO have acceleration rates comparable with that of the EMD 710, making any new Genesis model appealing to commuter railroads. Is that true?

#303153  by MEC407

There have been anecdotal reports that locomotives using the GEVO-12 load faster than their FDL-16 counterparts. That would definitely be a good thing for the next GE passenger loco. Even better would be if they put in a separate HEP genset, rather than an HEP alternator, which would mean that the main engine wouldn't be running at high RPM constantly.

#303346  by DutchRailnut

On AC traction locomotives the main engine does not run at high rpm during HEP.
The P32acdm for example will provide HEP with main engine running anywhere from 625 RPM to 1047 RPM.
The HEP is fed by inverter, fed from Alternator, its not depending on Alternator frequency.

#307598  by L'mont

I would imagine it would be sometime before anyone needs any large quantity of these. Seems that those who use them have all purchased large enough lots recently

I like it, looks good.

#318505  by NorfolkSouthernSean

I think it would look better with side-by-side headlights instead of the stacked ones in the photos.