Railroad Forums 

• GE Erie employment situation

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#893084  by railroads4ever

hello all,

I am a railroad enthusiast, still in school at Penn State main campus majoring in electrical engineering. It is time to look for intern/coop position for the summer - so just wondering if anyone here as some inputs on GE Erie and whether their railroad business is improving or if they are winding down and if it is worth pursuing them long-term. I want to stay in PA after graduation and I want the coop to target a full-time position..

Brad
 #894549  by Allen Hazen

(1) This has got to be a DREADFUL year: I wouldn't be surprised if there's a hiring freeze.
(2) Longer term, GE seems to be bullish on railroads, and on expanding their railroad electronics and locomotive businesses (trying to penetrate new markets overseas etc etc)
(3) But I only know what I read in the papers: hope you get a reply from someone with more first-hand information
 #894940  by RickRackstop

GE is looking for experienced engineers right now. For instance they need someone with after-treatment knowledge - a bad sign. Ironically its EMD advertising for interns on Indeed Job Alert. Then if you insist on staying in Pennsylvania you might try Norfolk Southern at Altoona shops.
 #895460  by railroads4ever

Guys, thanks for the comments. Actually, i was pumped up abt GE because my cousin interviewed there for a lead electronics position and he thinks he may get it (after just one interview!) - so I thought interns would be up too.

@Allen Hazen, my cousin is an experienced engineer -designing analog and digital systems and boards, so it looks like the position he interviewed for could be related to railroad electronics, as you mentioned.

Brad
 #895919  by Allen Hazen

You'd think the folks at the Erie newspaper could find a more appropriate photo to illustrate an item about GETS! But good news, anyway.
 #896240  by GEVO

They have been hiring interns right along, even during the downturn and layoffs. Being from Penn State is a big plus. There ought to be someone there that can help with your application. Pretty sure they do some recruiting at the main campus.

Things are not as bleak as one would think. Although there hasn't been any big announcements of US orders, don't let that fool you. Just read the quarterly financial reports. North America is ordering. The only think I can think of is no formal announcements to keep the competition in the dark on the specifics. But if you dig into the financial reports, you can easily see that there have been North American locomotive orders as well as a multitude of Foreign orders, including the recent order for 500 additional locomotive kits to China. 2011 should be a decent year which is a good thing for the workers since the union contract expires in June.

Good luck to you!
 #917274  by GE506

Ge cut 1550 jobs by the end of 2009 at the Erie Plant. Of that number, 930 work actual laid off workers due to others taking early retirement. Since this time last year, GE has called back all but about 100-150 of those employees and those remaining are expected to be back before the new contract this summer. There is also talk about possible new hires in the third quarter of this year but time will answer that question. As usual around contract time, order numbers are tight lipped but from what I hear, this year is looking to be around 550 locos on the books and 2012 to be over 700 units. I have been told by some I know in upper management that work looks to remain upbeat and busy into the next 5 years, again time will tell. The Erie plant, as many know, not only builds locos but off highway motorized wheels and mining and drilling equipment. These areas have been booming over the past 1-2 years with the future prognoses looking equally well.
 #967799  by GE506

GE has hired an additional 600 people off the street since calling back all laid off workers. There are approx 200 hired yet waiting to be called to start as well. It is possible that more will be hired later this year. On the other end of the spectrum, it is expected that several hundred will retire this year to take advantage of the SERO program as well as other retirement options being presented