Railroad Forums 

• GE 4-axle locomotives

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#512468  by tomjohn

Gentlemen,

I am just curious as the Dash 8-B's are aging and being returned to their lessor or re-leased/sold to others or in this case possibly modified to extend their life, or has GE followed suit with non production of 4 axle DASH 8-9 locomotives? I know a few DASH 8's have been scrapped due to wreck damage and other formats .

Tom

EDUCATION has no age requirements!

#512517  by MEC407

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are asking if GE has stopped making four-axle general freight locomotives, similar to the way that EMD has stopped making GP Series locomotives...?

If that is your question, then the answer is yes, GE has not built any new four-axle general freight / roadswitcher locomotives for the North American market since the discontinuance of the B40-8W (A.K.A. Dash 8-40BW). The reason GE stopped making them is the same reason EMD stopped making GPs: the railroads just weren't ordering them.

If a Class I railroad came to GE and asked for a new four-axle roadswitcher, I'm sure GE would be happy to accommodate them. The same goes for EMD.